Login screen does not appear Mint 14 <SOLVED>

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Quesadeity

Login screen does not appear Mint 14 <SOLVED>

Post by Quesadeity »

This problem I think stems from my attempt to fix another problem, which I could definitely use some help with as well if anyone has suggestions. After installation of 64 bit Mint 14, my screen would flash periodically. Every 1 or 2 minutes, the display would just flash white and then reappear. After some searching, I decided to adjust the screen refresh rate. I changed the refresh rate from 60 to 50hz in the ATI catalyst control center GUI as administrator under the preferences tab of the menu. I also noticed an anti-tear option, which I turned on. Forgive me if the names of these things aren't exact as I can't access my desktop to check them now. After I changed these settings, I restarted the computer. I saw the Linux Mint splash screen, but after that the display appears to shut down. A few times I was able to log in by typing my login name and password blind, but now I am unable to do this. The first time I did successfully login, I changed the graphics settings back to the way they were. It hasn't seemed to help, however. I found something about changing the xorg.conf file. I looked at that through the drop to root shell prompt option in grub. The TargetRefresh option is still set to 50, and when I try to change this back I get an error that says the file system is read only. I will try to post some relevant details about my system. I would post the output of the suggested inxi -Fxz command, but I don't know how to transfer the information from the root shell prompt besides to type it out manually.

I'm using a Thinkpad Edge E535.
AMD A4-4300M processor with Radeon HD Graphics
inxi says the driver is fglrx
As I said before, I have Mint 14 64bit installed with the Cinnamon desktop environment.
The kernel is 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64

If any other system information is needed, please let me know.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Login screen does not appear Mint 14

Post by Dngrsone »

I would boot into a Live! CD and then edit the xorg.conf fig on your hard drive.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”