Thanks Mint Team!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daleinen

Thanks Mint Team!

Post by daleinen »

I will say that while I am familiar with Linux in general, mostly Ubuntu and Fedora, I have never used the Mint distribution. Boy, was I missing out! On my new laptop I have Win8/Ubuntu dual booting but after some issues with a new kernel (unity graphical issues) and absolutely NO help from their forums I decided to try something else. After some research I decided to try Mint 14. For kicks I decided to try and install Mint 14 32 bit on my OLD Dell Latitude D620 and to my surprise it went quite well and installed almost perfectly! This computer has had blue screens and hardware issues for quite some time and before I installed Mint I could not even boot an OS. I've tried to install about anything I could on it to no avail, until Mint! Now, Mint 14 is running perfectly on this old machine. Thanks again for bringing this old dinosaur back to life and saving me $ for a another laptop!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anandrkris

Re: Thanks Mint Team!

Post by anandrkris »

Glad to know your experience. :) Mint is known to run well on old hardware...Just curious - which Desktop env. (Cinnamon / Mate / KDE) are you running ?

Since you have had some dollar-benefits, you should consider making a donation. :wink: Just kidding....Am not sure if forum rules even allow me to suggest that...
teepo

Post by teepo »

Perhaps you didn't find any help on ubuntu forums because like me, everybody ran away screaming when unity was introduced :lol:
daleinen

Post by daleinen »

Right now I am just running Cinnamon but KDE looks very slick! I should try it. If I were to make a donation it would be to Mint! And yea, unity is OK but nothing great and the Ubuntu forums were a warzone. They were more interested in editing my question than answering it!
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Okies. If you want to try KDE, would suggest to go for the latest 4.10.

More details in this http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=124912 forum.
daleinen

Post by daleinen »

Great, thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”