How To Install Qt 5.0.1 in Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" Cinnamon

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
bruceoutdoors

How To Install Qt 5.0.1 in Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" Cinnamon

Post by bruceoutdoors »

update: tested to work with Qt 5.0.2 and Mint 15

I had gone through a heap load of trouble getting this to work to let's get started:

First download Qt 5.0.1 from http://qt-project.org/downloads. I'm using a 32bit machine so I'll select that and download the file qt-linux-opensource-5.0.1-x86-offline.run. To install the .run file, right click for terminal in the directory containing the installer and type:

Code: Select all

chmod u+x qt-linux-opensource-5.0.1-x86-offline.run
sudo ./qt-linux-opensource-5.0.1-x86-offline.run
Let it install with all default settings.(update: In Mint 15 with Qt 5.0.2, it’s default installation directory is /home/username/Qt5.0.2. It’s weird to put it there so I’d recommend changing it to /opt/Qt5.0.2)

Now if you just try to run Qt Creator now you'll realize you can't open the application(update: this seems to be fixed with Qt 5.0.2… or Mint 15). That's because there seems to be some faulty linking problem thing going on. To fix this, you'll create your own custom launcher.

Right click your desktop and select "Create Launcher...".

* Type = Location
* Name = Qt Creator
* Location = /opt/Qt5.0.1/Tools/QtCreator/bin/qtcreator

now if you navigate to the qt5 directory and type "png" you will be able to find the Qt Creator logo. Just drag and drop it to that red rocket, press "ok" and you have your launcher set up.

Now, you should be able to run Qt creator but unable to build and run anything. That’s because lots of dependencies are missing. You would think that by installing Qt 5.0.1 they would install the dependencies as well but they don’t. Now open up the terminal and copy paste this:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install libx11-xcb-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libxrender-dev
Now when you open Qt Creator it complains up to 3 times some .xml file and no permission access denied thing and complains 3 times(exact same things) when it closes. Strange problem. So navigate to your home folder, reveal hidden files(Ctrl-H) and navigate to /.config/QtProject

Open a terminal there and type

sudo chown -R username qtcreator
And so, there you have it. Qt 5.0.1 and Qt Creator 2.6.2 running happily.

Now if you do use the examples(opt/Qt5.0.1/5.0.1/gcc/examples), you'll realized that you do not have permission to access it. Why? I don't know. But to change it go to "opt/Qt5.0.1/5.0.1/gcc" right click and open terminal and type

sudo chown -R username examples
Where "username" is the name of the user you wish to transfer full permissions to.

special thanks to sierdzio for making the process a whole lot simpler.
Last edited by bruceoutdoors on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
dmencos

Re: How To Install Qt 5.0.1 in Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" Cinnamo

Post by dmencos »

Thanks man! I was having the same problem

Additionally, I had to add the root (/) to the location:

/opt/Qt5.0.1/Tools/QtCreator/bin/qtcreator

otherwise it doesn't start

Return to “Tutorials”