Hello Mint Forums Users!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mr_element
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mint Forums Users!

Post by mr_element »

Hello everyone!

My name is George. I study computer engineering and programming and I am 24 years old.
To be honest if it weren't for a university project , I would've never goten involved with Linux but whilst talking to a Linux-fan buddy of mine he introduced me to Linux Mint. He said it was the perfect starting for a begginer like me , and you know what he was right!

The installation was easy (although Mint13 gave me some trouble with dual booting along with Win8 , partitioning and some GRUB issues) and the environment is very user-friendly. It runs smoothly on my system and I love how much support I've found online to several issues I had. I also managed to do some things that I couldn't perform on Windows.

e.g. A flashtool my smartphone uses has drivers only for up to Win7 so having Win8 made impossible to flash new roms,kernels,patches etc. Thankfully there was a Linux version of this tool and I managed to run it and do my job perfectly well.

Some concepts , meanings and commands remain still unknown to me but hopefully with your help I will catch up! Untill yesterday I didn't even know "ls"! It's different and it's beautifull (I'm talking about Mint here). I like the versatility and the revamped UI of the Cinamon Desktop. I hope I'll get to know some of you better and maybe find some new friends while solving each others' issues!

Kind regards,
George! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If you ask, you look like a fool for the amount of time your question needs to be answered.
If you do not ask, you will remain a fool for ever.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Hello Mint Forums Users!

Post by catweazel »

mr_element wrote:Hello everyone!

My name is George. I study computer engineering and programming and I am 24 years old.
My name is George. I studied computer engineering and programming and I am 84 years old. :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Welcome to the Mint family, George. :)
You have landed in the right place. Even I'm a recent Windows convert and must concur that Linux is an amaazing great platform to learn about systems.
Wish you happy learning and I am sure you will share your learnings to others as well.
mr_element
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mr_element »

TehGhodTrole wrote:

My name is George. I studied computer engineering and programming and I am 84 years old. :mrgreen:
Why am I not getting this joke?! :( :?:
anandrkris wrote:Welcome to the Mint family, George. :)
You have landed in the right place. Even I'm a recent Windows convert and must concur that Linux is an amaazing great platform to learn about systems.
Wish you happy learning and I am sure you will share your learnings to others as well.
Thank you very much! :)
If you ask, you look like a fool for the amount of time your question needs to be answered.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Kalimera

welcome to the mint family forums

yasus
wizard
phlux

Post by phlux »

Welcome to the forums, George! My name's Kevin, and I'm new here as well!

I like how you mention that your buddy said Linux Mint is "good for starters." I've been wanting to touch on that subject for a little while now.

I consider myself an advanced Linux user, but I converted my laptops from Gentoo to Linux Mint, and made the process final yesterday. I'm very happy with my decision so far, and I have found that the community support here is excellent. I just wanted you to know that as you grow and become more comfortable with a Linux environment, I encourage you to step outside of the box and do some exploring around. Compile things from source (basically the main reason I used Gentoo in the first place) and see how things tick. Spend some time in the terminal. You'll be surprised at how much you'll learn in a short amount of time, and how much more efficient the CLI can be sometimes!

Good luck to you on your Linux journey. I hope Linux Mint stays kind to you!

P.S.: Since you've recently discovered 'ls,' go to your home directory and issue 'ls -lah' to see all files in your home directory and their sizes in a readable format. You can use this to find larger files that might be taking up too much space in a given directory. I use it when I forget to use logrotate :mrgreen:
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day and welcome to the forum
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome aboard George :D Knowing your way around Linux is useful in your line of work, as it means you will be able to work on projects running on Linux, BSD or UNIX servers also. A basic knowledge of the command line and how to find help (manpages) goes a long way to being comfortable on those other environments also. A good introduction to the command line: http://en.flossmanuals.net/command-line/
mr_element wrote:
TehGhodTrole wrote:

Why am I not getting this joke?! :( :?:
TehGhodTrole is I think the oldest programmers here, though occasionally he forgets his real name :)
mr_element
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mr_element »

xenopeek wrote:Welcome aboard George :D Knowing your way around Linux is useful in your line of work, as it means you will be able to work on projects running on Linux, BSD or UNIX servers also. A basic knowledge of the command line and how to find help (manpages) goes a long way to being comfortable on those other environments also. A good introduction to the command line: http://en.flossmanuals.net/command-line/
Thank you very much for that! I will have a look at it right away! Actually I've been thinking that this is kind of what I needed to get started!
xenopeek wrote: TehGhodTrole is I think the oldest programmers here, though occasionally he forgets his real name :)
In that case I've got a lot to learn from him! I hope I will benefit from his knowledge!
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Welcome home! Live green, eat green and be green:D :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”