Netflix on Linux Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laukce01

Netflix on Linux Mint

Post by laukce01 »

Without using a virtual Windows operation system, how can you run Netflix on Linux Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Netflix on Linux Mint

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

You can't simple as that, end of story. Linux doesn't have Silverlight.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

You can access Silverlight and Netflix via Linux. :D

See: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ix#p651748
laukce01

Post by laukce01 »

When I try that, my computer runs REALLLY slow and all I get is audio from Netflix and no video.....ugghhhh. I'm not sure if I like Linux or not. It fells like 1985 and I'm dealing with DOS.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

3fri, like I said, there is NO Netflix for Linux. That method uses WINE (extremely buggy and inefficient method--even on a quadcore, a person will lagg like hell).
laukce01

Post by laukce01 »

Thanks guys for your responses and doing so in a timely manner. These forums are helpful.
Jim1938

Post by Jim1938 »

I haven't tried this yet, but IMHO:
Watching Netflix can be a resource hungry situation,
so keep out the non esentials for better sound/video sync.
1. Install Virtual Box.
2. Install WinXP in Virtual Box with plenty of RAM.
3. Strip WinXP to the bone. No WP, no SS, minimum services, no startups, etc.
BlackViper is an excellent source for reducing services.
4. Install SilverLight.
5. Don't use WinXP for anything else.
6. When you startup Linux for watching Netflix, don't have anything running in Linux except Virtual Box.
&. Sit back and enjoy.
9. Report back.

Jim b. 1938
Computers since 1970.
Linux since 2004. Suse, Ubuntu, Puppy, Crunchbang
Just installed Mint for the first time today.
This is my first Mint post.
laukce01

Post by laukce01 »

Jim,

I sort of tried that in the past using XP virtual box. Not sure if I stripped it all down like you said. It sort of worked on my computer (better than the Wine method). The video was a little jittery thought to the point you couldnt enjoy what you were watching. I think a lot of it has to do with my older (2008) computer. I have a Celeron CPU, 2 Gig of ram, etc. I think if I had a better mobo and cpu and about 4 to 8 gig of ram it would work a lot better.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

Sagirfahmid3,

I think you're splitting unnecessary straws. My point is that you can access Silverlight AND Netflix via Linux--yes using WINE. For those who complain that the connection lags or is sluggish, I suspect that your hardware might be the source of the problem. I can watch a Netflix film on the Linux partition of my iMac as well as on the Mac one. Moreover, it runs as well as when I watch films on my Roku box in the living room. :D
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

You can get Silverlight via WINE AND access Netflix with Linux. :D

See: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ix#p651748
Kellkore

Post by Kellkore »

How to geek had a wonderful tutorial for running this...and I'm using Linux Mint 15, Olivia. It works so here is the link:
http://www.howtogeek.com/130372/how-to-watch-netflix-on-ubuntu-with-the-netflix-desktop-app/

Return to “Software & Applications”