Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet not recognized

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
YeeP

Re: Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet not recognized

Post by YeeP »

AlbertP wrote:For wifi, you need the rtl8723ae module which can also be modprobe'd if installed.

Also, you can instruct compat-drivers to make one driver through ./driver-select, but doing two drivers at once is not possible. You'll need to build the whole package (use ./scripts/driver-select restore to revert the selection of alx only) and then load alx and rtl8723ae.

On a multicore system you can speed up the compilation by doing make -j4 instead of make (4 on a quad-core system, use whatever number suits your computer). That way all cores of the CPU are used to compile the drivers including the ones you don't need.
So how about a script that can make each driver individually, then install them? And yes, I do have a 4 core, thanks for the tip.

The reason I ask about the script is I like to play with different distros on my computer, and I am sure I will have to do this a lot. It would be cool to have a little package on a usb or what not, with a script that I can run as soon as I fire it up with the new install. I will have to look up how to write a script. (used to making bat files).

EDIT: How do you know that driver name/number? I just wonder what I could search by to find it, that way I won't be as much of an idiot.
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

Ok, here is my first attempt. I cannot test it right now though... This would just run from the same directory where you have the tarbal sitting..

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

#Extract compat drivers package
echo "Compat Drivers Package Extract Begin"
tar -xzvf compat-drivers-2013-02-20-u.tar.gz
echo "Compat Drivers Package Extract Complete"

#install alx driver
echo "alx driver install begin"
./compat-drivers-2013-02-20-u/scripts/driver-select alx
make -j4
sudo make install
sudo modprobe alx
echo "alx driver install complete"

#install rtl8723ae driver
echo "rtl8723ae driver install begin"
./compat-drivers-2013-02-20-u/scripts/driver-select rtl8723ae
make -j4
sudo make install
sudo modprobe rtl8723ae
echo "rtl8723ae driver install complete"

#delete extract directory
echo "delete extract directory begin"
rm -rf /compat-drivers-2013-02-20-u
echo "delete extract directory complete"
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I'm sorry, but there is no ./scripts/driver-select rtl8723ae option right now. Also, at least for wifi modules I know that if they have not been built at the same time, they will conflict with each other and only the latest installed one will work. It may be that doing wifi and ethernet separately does work, but you would need an option in driver-select for your wifi driver anyway. Maybe this option will be added later, since rtl8723ae only just appeared in the Linux kernel so it's also still quite new within compat-drivers.

Edit. You can run ./scripts/driver-select without naming a driver, to see the drivers you can choose from. rtl8723ae is not listed right now.
Maybe future packages will list the driver. The download page for compat-drivers is here: https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Releases
Last edited by AlbertP on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

<please delete>
Last edited by YeeP on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

Realtek findings, interesting.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/139632/w ... recognized

Still researching.
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

AlbertP wrote:I'm sorry, but there is no ./scripts/driver-select rtl8723ae option right now. Also, at least for wifi modules I know that if they have not been built at the same time, they will conflict with each other and only the latest installed one will work. It may be that doing wifi and ethernet separately does work,
<SNIP>
Edit. You can run ./scripts/driver-select without naming a driver, to see the drivers you can choose from. rtl8723ae is not listed right now.
Maybe future packages will list the driver. The download page for compat-drivers is here: https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Releases
AlbertP - I went to this site:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... 9x#rtlwifi

Where I found this listing:
rtlwifi

rtl8192ce is a PCI-E driver for RTL8192CE/RTL8188CE devices.

rtl8192cu is a USB driver for RTL8192CU/RTL8188CU devices.

rtl8192de is a PCI-E driver for RTL8192DE/RTL8188DE devices.

rtl8192se is a PCI-E driver for RTL8192SE/RTL8191SE devices.

rtl8723ae is a PCI-E driver for RTL8723AE devices.

rtl8188ee is a PCI-E driver for RTL8188EE devices. (WIP)
Then following your link, I headed to the latest file I could find, here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... 013/02/27/
and downloaded: compat-drivers-2013-02-27-u.tar.gz

My search is to find the "rtlwifi" if I understand that correctly.

Please excuse my incorrect direction of folder markings, but I am at work and on a windows machine.

I see this has the alx setup, as expected:
\compat-drivers-2013-02-27-u\drivers\net\ethernet\atheros\alx
Also it looks like it might have what I need for the wireless
\compat-drivers-2013-02-27-u\drivers\net\wireless\rtlwifi\rtl8723ae

What I am confused about here, is your statement about running the both of them could cause a problem based on the date of their build? If I pull both drivers from this file (make both not remove), and install them, are you saying there could still be a problem?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Well, you can try building rtlwifi and alx both. The description of the rtlwifi option (when running ./scripts/driver-select with no arguments) says that only rtl8192ce is selected that way, but I have seen before that that's not true. If you run make and it returns LD [M] drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8723ae/rtl8723ae.ko at the end, then it's fine.

What caused problems for me in the past was that compat-wireless also replaces the mac80211 core module to which all wifi drivers are linked - and existing drivers from previous installs don't properly get linked to the new module by the time compat-drivers installs a new wifi driver. It may have been that my existing drivers were from an older version and thus incompatible with the new module.
But since ethernet drivers don't depend on that, it's probably fine to have an ethernet and a wifi driver from compat-wireless which have not been built together.
Last edited by AlbertP on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

Great, thank you for your high level of knowledge and input. I will try it tonight and report back. :mrgreen:
YeeP

Post by YeeP »

Well Albert, just like you thought, the ethrenet connection is working just fine. I tried running the wireless setup but have not had any luck yet. I guess I should change OP subject to include a solved. Thank you for the help on this.

Return to “Networking”