Before you post in here!

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Zen,

Take your time, relax and learn about Linux at your own pace. Maybe it's too soon for you to make the jump. You'll always have issues or things you want to change in a Linux environment and you need to be ready to spend time and appreciate that time when you're learning and doing things with the computer. It is becoming more and more easy for people to tweak things in Linux but we're still an OS for computer enthusiast and there is a learning curve.

I'm sorry you didn't get your WIFI working. From what I see the driver is working fine and all you need is a bit of help on the configuration side. Make a new thread, post your question with the mintWifi diagnostic and hopefully people will come to you and help you set it up.

Clem
zen

Post by zen »

Thanks Clem - I was stressed and did not mean anything negative. I am looking at a thinkpad T40 Pnetium M

any clues as to whether this will work has the integrated wrieless in it?

I am committed to get into linux. the machine was maybe not the best!

Zen
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

HI Zen,
Instead of waisting your time or spending big $$ in a new machine i would suggest to get a new wireless card:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=317
or just check the P/N BWLG630NA.C2
I have this one on my laptop and it works Great! out of the box, :D
jcoleman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jcoleman »

Did you enter a DNS number for your router?
the number I needed was for my DSL router (ie: the number you use to access it from a browser)
go --> system - administration - networking
make sure the wireless connection is checked
SSID correct, etc?
DNS tab - add the DNS address to the list
Close an reopen your browser and see if that helps

My wireless did not work until I did that - I am using an Acer 3100 series at home and a IBM T43p at work/home. Different puters - different cards - must of held my mouth right for a change.

I gave up on PCBSD because of the wireless problems - after some searching Mint seemed the closest to what I needed - a functional computer that I can work on and do what I need.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This thread should have been locked long ago so that new questions are posted in new threads, not in this one.

Return to “Networking”