No internet and I don't think there's any drivers.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ponch0

No internet and I don't think there's any drivers.

Post by Ponch0 »

I attempted to create a dual-boot system, instead I succeeded at destroying Win8 (I tried recovering but couldn't). I have a bunch of partitions now, but Linux mint - mate 64 bit seems to have correctly installed on the biggest partition. Although I did not create a swap area drive because I've read somewhere that for GPT hard drives I did not have to.

I don't mind having Mint as my only OS but it seems that I have bits and pieces of Win 8 all over the drive. I noticed a networking folder and in it I have "Windows Network" which I cannot access, coincidentally it's the drivers I'm missing. I'm not sure what I should do at this point. Should I try to install the driver or completely erase the disk (I'm not really a computer guy), I tried the first option but couldn't even figure out how to locate the drivers or can't even begin to figure out how to install them.

It's a brand new computer and this is what I get by attempting to be a hero. :(

I typed in "lspci" into terminal and this is a read out.

"00:00.0 Host bridge: intel Corporation 3r Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.; VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14. USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Rot Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.1 PCI:bridge Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 (rest same as above line)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1(rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 Sata controller: intel corporation 7 series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
1:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communication Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8723"

Whew, I typed up, apologies for any typos. Also, under administration I found an option for "Windows Wireless Drivers 'ndiswrapper driver installation tool'"

I have a Toshiba S855-S5378
Intel i7
8 gig ram

Is this fixable, (I would rather have Linux Mint) could someone help me, I'll provide any more info if needed Please or if this is a lost cause, I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: No internet and I don't think there's any drivers.

Post by caf4926 »

Please let us see

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Ponch0

Post by Ponch0 »

"1:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet [1969:1091] (rev 10)
Subsystem: Toshiba America info Systems Device [1179:ffle]
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:8723]
Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:0723]"

I'm not sure if relevant, but any word that has "Net" in it is highlighted in red.

Thank you
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Do you not have windows backed up? Recovery disk?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Ponch0

Post by Ponch0 »

I have 3 recovery disks and when I chose Toshiba restore to factory default, it would just run each disk, tell me to insert next disk and I did that for about 2 hours without getting anywhere. I must have switched the disks during the "restore" about 50 times, I assumed after that, that it isn't working.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

At the moment I'm more concerned that you have lost windows...
Do you have anything important in windows, that you would prefer to recover? Do you have an external HD to copy it to if required?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Ponch0

Post by Ponch0 »

Everything I had there I can easily recover on Linux, I don't care if I lost Windows, in fact I would rather use Linux if I could get it up and running correctly.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Ponch0 wrote:Everything I had there I can easily recover on Linux, I don't care if I lost Windows, in fact I would rather use Linux if I could get it up and running correctly.
From the output you posted it doesn't look like either wireless or wired are working.
Can you confirm if that is the case for both? Wired and Wireless.

FYI: It is extremely unusual for wired connections not to work.
If you boot to the Live Session (as you did before you installed) is the wired connection not working there either?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Ponch0

Post by Ponch0 »

That is correct, neither is working and I just checked again. I'm using my gf's computer hoping I could find a solution.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Ponch0 wrote:That is correct, neither is working and I just checked again. I'm using my gf's computer hoping I could find a solution.
OK, so that's not so good.
Can we just confirm, you are using Mint 14 Mate?

To have neither wired or wireless working means you need to
Recover windows - which doesn't sound very possible. You may have to contact your machine vendor.
or try a different Linux distro (one which might work, as it ships with some proprietary drivers, is PCLinuxOS)

If you could though in the mean time, use your other PC to download Parted Magic
Boot from it and run the partition editor and show us a screeshot of your partitions
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=down ... TBDR4c4KcE
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

caf4926 wrote:
Ponch0 wrote:That is correct, neither is working and I just checked again. I'm using my gf's computer hoping I could find a solution.
OK, so that's not so good.
Can we just confirm, you are using Mint 14 Mate?

To have neither wired or wireless working means you need to
Recover windows - which doesn't sound very possible. You may have to contact your machine vendor.
or try a different Linux distro (one which might work, as it ships with some proprietary drivers, is PCLinuxOS)

If you could though in the mean time, use your other PC to download Parted Magic
Boot from it and run the partition editor and show us a screeshot of your partitions
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=down ... TBDR4c4KcE

Just to be clear
Obviously I mean boot Parted Magic on the machine you 'jeffed up'
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Ponch0

Post by Ponch0 »

I was able to find this post and I'm going to try it, if it doesn't work I'll get working on your reply. Check it out and tell me if i'm looking at this right and it's actually the same issue, if oyu wouldn't mind.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&p=693265
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Ponch0 wrote:I was able to find this post and I'm going to try it, if it doesn't work I'll get working on your reply. Check it out and tell me if i'm looking at this right and it's actually the same issue, if oyu wouldn't mind.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&p=693265
I'm not sure how far you will get
As I'm not sure all the build requires will be installed

If you were using a distro like openSUSE (DVD version) it includes all the build essentials such as : the kernel headers, make, gcc..... etc..
It's still requires you install those, but you can do so because they are on the DVD
Then you still have the challenge of making the build
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Ponch0

Post by Ponch0 »

Ok, I was able to find and download the modules but when I clicked to install it I got this message, "Same version is available in a software channel, You are recommendd to install the software from the channel instead."

How can I install something from the software channel?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

See this comment
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 65#p690134

I'm going offline for a bit - sorry

You might want to consider. Installing again so that you have a nice tidy HD
Just choose the option: Erase disk and install Mint
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Ponch0

Post by Ponch0 »

Ok, thanks for your help anyway.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Ponch0

Post by Ponch0 »

Ok, I "think" I know what may be the issue, I'm booting the computer in CSM boot which than changes the settings for "LAN". When I change the Boot Mode to UEFI boot, Lan settings than change again, however windows tries to boot up and gives me an error message. If anyone is familiar with the issue please feel free to share :)..

Thank you.
Ponch0

Post by Ponch0 »

caf4926, I appreciate the links I was able to find the correct version However it isn't letting me to install the package because it's available in Software channel (no internet). I've googled for a solution around this but so far I haven't found anything that has worked.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Hardware Support”