Where is the screen saver setup

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Where is the screen saver setup

Postby tlcmd on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:05 am

Just installed the "new" LMDE (201303) and cannot find the screen-saver setup. Where is it since the menu doesn't really make it obvious? Or if it does, I've gone blind.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but i am moving from Windows to Linux and lack one program (MovieOrganizer 2.8.6) to make my move complete.

tlcmd (aka Dick)
tlcmd
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Where is the screen saver setup

Postby phlux on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:21 am

Greetings!

As far as I know, Cinnamon does not (yet) support screensavers natively since it is based so much on GNOME3 (Muffin).

You can, however, install the XScreensaver package if you wish.
phlux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tlcmd on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks, nice to know that I've been searching for something that wasn't there; at least the question is relevent.

Dick
tlcmd
Level 3
Level 3

Postby krige on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:26 am

phlux wrote:You can, however, install the XScreensaver package if you wish.

I did that but the only way to run it seems to be to call it from a terminal: there is no item called "XScreensaver" in the menu and the "Screensaver & Lock Settings" in System Tools / System Settings shows only a text field to input the default away message.
krige
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kurotsugi on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:53 am

cinnamon 1.8 and 2.0 have their own screensaver called cinnamon-screensaver. the option is on cinnamon-control-center. please run this command and tell us the result
Code: Select all
dpkg -l |grep screensaver
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby krige on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:38 am

kurotsugi wrote:cinnamon 1.8 and 2.0 have their own screensaver called cinnamon-screensaver. the option is on cinnamon-control-center.

Where is that? I can't find it.

kurotsugi wrote:please run this command and tell us the result

rc  cinnamon-screensaver                          1.8.0+lmde                        amd64        Cinnamon screen saver and locker
rc  gnome-screensaver                             3.4.1-1                           amd64        GNOME screen saver and locker
rc  xscreensaver                                  5.15-3                            amd64        Automatic screensaver for X
rc  xscreensaver-data                             5.15-3                            amd64        data files to be shared among screensaver frontends
krige
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kurotsugi on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:50 am

you don't have any installed screensaver on your system. that's why you can't find it. run 'sudo aptitude install cinnamon-screensaver' and go into cinnamon control center for the option.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jr121705 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:42 pm

I am having the same problem and can not figure out how to get the screen saver to work.

The command

Gives me

ii  cinnamon-screensaver                                        2.0.3+lmde                        amd64        Cinnamon screen saver and locker
rc  xscreensaver-data                                           5.15-3                            amd64        data files to be shared among screensaver frontends
rc  xscreensaver-gl                                             5.15-3                            amd64        GL(Mesa) screen hacks for xscreensaver

I tried running

sudo aptitude install cinnamon-screensaver

but the Cinnamon Screen saver still does not show up in the control center. What am I doing wrong?
jr121705
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kurotsugi on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:56 am

dpkg -l|grep control-center
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jr121705 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:59 am

dpkg -l|grep control-center

results in:

ii  cinnamon-control-center                                     2.0.9+lmde                        amd64        utilities to configure the Cinnamon desktop
ii  cinnamon-control-center-data                                2.0.9+lmde                        all          configuration applets for Cinnamon - data files
ii  gnome-control-center                                        1:3.8.3-4                         amd64        utilities to configure the GNOME desktop
ii  gnome-control-center-data                                   1:3.8.3-4                         all          configuration applets for GNOME - data files
ii  libcinnamon-control-center1                                 2.0.9+lmde                        amd64        utilities to configure the Cinnamon desktop
ii  libgnome-control-center1                                    1:3.2.2-2                         amd64        utilities to configure the GNOME desktop
jr121705
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kurotsugi on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:22 am

I bet you're using wrong control center :3
get rid the gnome-control-center. the setting should be on cinnamon's control center.
kurotsugi
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jr121705 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:53 pm

kurotsugi wrote:I bet you're using wrong control center :3
get rid the gnome-control-center. the setting should be on cinnamon's control center.

Okay, I did that but I still cannot find the screen saver. I made sure that cinnamon screen saver was installed and it is, but still cannot find it.
jr121705
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions