After rebooting Cinnamon menus completely gone

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pendragn

After rebooting Cinnamon menus completely gone

Post by pendragn »

Weird.....I rebooted my computer using the poweroff icon --> restart and after rebooting, my desktop wallpaper comes up on both my monitors as it should, but all of the window elements like the bottom bar are gone....it is just a desktop with a movable mouse icon that cannot click / right click. I get a notice (like normal) about the network connection being enabled, but that notification is high (not normal) on the right monitor (not normal) and when my mouse goes over it, it disappears (not normal) only to reappear when my mouse leaves the area (not normal).

I am able to boot into Gnome2 and get to my desktop via Ctrl-Alt-Backspace but neither Cinnamon nor Cinnamon 2D works (failing as above). I am able to run an Alt-Ctrl-T in the Cinnamon desktop, but the resulting window is only in the top left of my left monitor, and I can see only the bottom 1/4 of it (unusable).

Weird....anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Nick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pendragn

Re: After rebooting Cinnamon menus completely gone

Post by pendragn »

I solved my own problem...not sure what the cause was, but in order to help people, I will post what I did:

-Computer booted up into the unusable desktop environment
-Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to log out
-clicked session to choose Gnome session and logged in to that envirnment
-removed Catalyst drivers (13.1) using: /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh --force
-installed new Catalyst drivers downloaded from ATI website (13.2) with: amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.2-beta6-linux-x86.x86_64.run --force
(did the above without logging out)
-rebooted, everything working fine
-ran the script below (from http://askubuntu.com/questions/206558/h ... -watermark) to remove the watermark from the screen lower-right corner:

#!/bin/sh
DRIVER=/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
for x in $(objdump -d $DRIVER|awk '/call/&&/EnableLogo/{print "\\x"$2"\\x"$3"\\x"$4"\\x"$5"\\x"$6}'); do
sed -i "s/$x/\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90/g" $DRIVER
done

...all seems to be working fine now....hope this helps others.
dwieeb

Post by dwieeb »

Does anyone know how to fix this for nvidia drivers? I basically need to know how to remove nvidia drivers. I used the 32bit package from their website to install it originally. (not the nvidia-current package).
Now I'm not exactly sure how to switch back to nouveau.

cinnamon --replace

Code: Select all

libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
libGL error: Try again with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose for more details.

(cinnamon:4247): Clutter-CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize Clutter: Unable to find suitable fbconfig for the GLX context: Failed to find any compatible fbconfigs
Window manager error: Unable to initialize Clutter.
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose cinnamon --replace

libGL: screen 0 does not appear to be DRI2 capable
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so

(cinnamon:4268): Clutter-CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize Clutter: Unable to find suitable fbconfig for the GLX context: Failed to find any compatible fbconfigs
Window manager error: Unable to initialize Clutter.
inxi -Gx

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF114 [GeForce GTX 560] bus-ID: 03:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz, 1920x1200@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 560/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 (2.1.2 NVIDIA 310.32) Direct Rendering: No
kdgone

Post by kdgone »

I'm running Linux Mint in a VM & I also have a missing bottom menu. The mouse isn't accepting clicks either. Sounds more like a config issue than a driver issue. Anyone else running into this problem?
nathansizemore

Post by nathansizemore »

I am just now experiencing this problem. I am on 64bit 14. The last odd thing I did was install a bunch of 32 support files to play a game Anodyne. I rebooted a few times and everything has been working fine. I rebooted a few minutes ago and I am getting the same results. I have no idea what is causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

This is what I get when I try to restart Cinnamon

sudo cinnamon --replace
libGL error: Try again with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose for more details.
      JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Error getting session for the process we are in: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GeneralError: Unable to lookup session information for process '2823' (g-io-error-quark 36)
      JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Fri Mar 01 2013 23:18:30 GMT-0500 (EST)
      JS LOG: network applet: Cannot find connection for active (or connection cannot be read)
Nathan
benny999

Post by benny999 »

kdgone wrote:I'm running Linux Mint in a VM & I also have a missing bottom menu. The mouse isn't accepting clicks either. Sounds more like a config issue than a driver issue. Anyone else running into this problem?
I have this problem also all I did was fresh install plua do all the updates
HangFire

Post by HangFire »

kdgone wrote:I'm running Linux Mint in a VM & I also have a missing bottom menu. The mouse isn't accepting clicks either. Sounds more like a config issue than a driver issue. Anyone else running into this problem?
I have this problem as well. It happened after I updated vmware, but I had run updates on Mint before hand. Mouse moves but I can't bring up a context menu or the panel. I have to go to an alternate console to shut down. I can log in using Gnome Classic as my session, though.
HangFire

Post by HangFire »

Cinnamon works with vmware settings video accelerate 3D unticked... but my, how slow. Even these characters take 1/2 second each to echo.

MATE works OK with acceleration on, so I'm going to have to reboot and use that. Too bad, I really liked Cinnamon. :(

HF
Raen

Post by Raen »

Same subject as http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=127575 and http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=131100.

Found out that actual (newer?) level 1 updates don't cause this problem anymore (explained better on the first topic linked above).

Return to “Cinnamon”