Use graphic card memory as RAM

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keywc

Use graphic card memory as RAM

Post by keywc »

Some details that may help you :
I have linux mint 14 x64 installed on an old PC (AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+) with onlu 890 MB of RAM.
It isn't problematic when I only have firefox and one tab opened, but when I want to open multiple tabs or open other software at the same time my slow hard drive is being used since I don't have much RAM.
If have a "GeForce 6100 nForce 405/integrated/SSE2" with 2GO of RAM inside it. I don't play videogames on this PC since it's too old anyway, so is there a way to use it as RAM ? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Use graphic card memory as RAM

Post by catweazel »

keywc wrote:is there a way to use it as RAM ?
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ludude75

Re: Use graphic card memory as RAM

Post by ludude75 »

You have 890 MB of RAM? sounds like some of your ram is being shared with onboard video.

So if the card fits in the computer why not just use it? Then you would gain 128mb of ram, and your video would have it's own dedicated processor and memory which could definately help.

Return to “Hardware Support”