MATE vs. Cinnamon, which is more likely to continue?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: MATE vs. Cinnamon, which is more likely to continue?

Post by raymerjacque »

bimsebasse wrote:First a Gnome Shell crusade at the expense of Cinnamon, now a MATE crusade at the expense of Cinnamon - raymerjacque, I look forward to you KDE crusade at the expense of Cinnamon :)
lol. Well its the only way to learn and get to know them all. I have run them all as base and i have mix and matched combinations of desktop enviroments. I think at one stage i was reinstalling Linux almost on a daily basis.... But you learn alot at the end of the day if you try everything. My journey started out with Mate and its come full circle back to Mate. I do like all of them tho, Gnome 3 is bit buggy with the top bar ( which i placed at bottom ), autohide doesnt work well and the bar doesnt always popup on mouse over. KDE runs well surprisingly, but it kinda feels like an oversized bloated version of mate, i could just never get used to the odd way it was designed. Cinnamon was my favorite for a while, I really like the look of Gnome 3 and i managed to replicate that look in cinnamon, However I had an ATI card and it was a night mare in cinnamon as well as i mentioned gaming experience wasnt all that great, when i changed to an Nvidia card it got better, but still gaming on Wine was still an issue. Mate just worked out the box on all fronts. The only one i have not tried to date is Xfce, but to my knowledge Xfce is really lightweight meant for older hardware and its a similar experience to Mate, and i dont have that problem so dont really care to run it.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Please keep this topic about OP's question about Cinnamon vs. MATE.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fraoch »

xenopeek wrote:Please keep this topic about OP's question about Cinnamon vs. MATE.
I don't mind, this is an interesting discussion!
zerozero wrote:
raymerjacque wrote:Maybe its the newest version of wine that doesnt like Cinnamon, i dont know
non-openGL DEs have better and faster results with intensive graphic demanding app (like games)
mate is a compromise between user-friendness and efficiency in this regard but if you want 100% efficiency you have to look at openbox or "similar" WM
To teach myself about Linux I built various combinations from scratch inside a VM and tried to see which one had the lowest memory footprint while still having the full functionality I needed. The winner was Gentoo with openbox and fbpanel. The whole thing ran on less than 30 MB of RAM.

'Course it was a little spartan but I like it that way. :)
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Mate is currently using 322MB ram on my system, but i do run compiz and conky and i have a few apps open ( pidgin and some widgets and stuff. ). Its pretty low on resources. With Opera and steam open it climbs to around 900mb with majority of that being used by steam.
Ponny

Post by Ponny »

I have Linux Mint 13 for about 6 months. Hmmmmm, maybe 3 months?
I just tested cinnamon. But I not like it.
I tested it because in Mate is missing more settings for user interface. In Windows you can set up collor for almost every part of user interface. But no in Mate.

Then I installed cinnammonn. (Hm, not sure about number of this m and n letters.)
Well, cinamon has transparent tollbar..... this on the bottom of the screen. I don't know the name. But you can't remove this stupid transparancy. There is no setting for colors. There is absolutely no setting for user interface.

Welll in Mate the most color schemes has no transparency. I hate transparant elements in user interface.

fertig

Ponny
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can use a different theme if you want. Note that if you are on Linux Mint 13 you are by default using very old versions of programs. I didn't like Cinnamon 1.4 as available on Linux Mint 13 either, but Cinnamon 1.6 as shipped with Linux Mint 14 is awesome :) You can get the newer Cinnamon version also on Linux Mint 13: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225. Linux Mint 15, due for release next month, will bring Cinnamon 1.8 which promises to be even better. But Cinnamon isn't Windows and it will never be, though with with each new release more customization and theming of it is made possible by the developers working on that.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”