Where is the screen saver setup

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

Where is the screen saver setup

Post by tlcmd »

Just installed the "new" LMDE (201303) and cannot find the screen-saver setup. Where is it since the menu doesn't really make it obvious? Or if it does, I've gone blind.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but i am moving from Windows to Linux and lack one program (MovieOrganizer 2.8.6) to make my move complete.

tlcmd (aka Dick)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phlux

Re: Where is the screen saver setup

Post by phlux »

Greetings!

As far as I know, Cinnamon does not (yet) support screensavers natively since it is based so much on GNOME3 (Muffin).

You can, however, install the XScreensaver package if you wish.
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Thanks, nice to know that I've been searching for something that wasn't there; at least the question is relevent.

Dick
krige

Post by krige »

phlux wrote:You can, however, install the XScreensaver package if you wish.
I did that but the only way to run it seems to be to call it from a terminal: there is no item called "XScreensaver" in the menu and the "Screensaver & Lock Settings" in System Tools / System Settings shows only a text field to input the default away message.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

cinnamon 1.8 and 2.0 have their own screensaver called cinnamon-screensaver. the option is on cinnamon-control-center. please run this command and tell us the result

Code: Select all

dpkg -l |grep screensaver
krige

Post by krige »

kurotsugi wrote:cinnamon 1.8 and 2.0 have their own screensaver called cinnamon-screensaver. the option is on cinnamon-control-center.
Where is that? I can't find it.
kurotsugi wrote:please run this command and tell us the result

rc  cinnamon-screensaver                          1.8.0+lmde                        amd64        Cinnamon screen saver and locker
rc  gnome-screensaver                             3.4.1-1                           amd64        GNOME screen saver and locker
rc  xscreensaver                                  5.15-3                            amd64        Automatic screensaver for X
rc  xscreensaver-data                             5.15-3                            amd64        data files to be shared among screensaver frontends
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

you don't have any installed screensaver on your system. that's why you can't find it. run 'sudo aptitude install cinnamon-screensaver' and go into cinnamon control center for the option.
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

I am having the same problem and can not figure out how to get the screen saver to work.

The command

Gives me

ii  cinnamon-screensaver                                        2.0.3+lmde                        amd64        Cinnamon screen saver and locker
rc  xscreensaver-data                                           5.15-3                            amd64        data files to be shared among screensaver frontends
rc  xscreensaver-gl                                             5.15-3                            amd64        GL(Mesa) screen hacks for xscreensaver
I tried running

sudo aptitude install cinnamon-screensaver
but the Cinnamon Screen saver still does not show up in the control center. What am I doing wrong?
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

dpkg -l|grep control-center
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

dpkg -l|grep control-center
results in:

ii  cinnamon-control-center                                     2.0.9+lmde                        amd64        utilities to configure the Cinnamon desktop
ii  cinnamon-control-center-data                                2.0.9+lmde                        all          configuration applets for Cinnamon - data files
ii  gnome-control-center                                        1:3.8.3-4                         amd64        utilities to configure the GNOME desktop
ii  gnome-control-center-data                                   1:3.8.3-4                         all          configuration applets for GNOME - data files
ii  libcinnamon-control-center1                                 2.0.9+lmde                        amd64        utilities to configure the Cinnamon desktop
ii  libgnome-control-center1                                    1:3.2.2-2                         amd64        utilities to configure the GNOME desktop
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

I bet you're using wrong control center :3
get rid the gnome-control-center. the setting should be on cinnamon's control center.
jr121705

Post by jr121705 »

kurotsugi wrote:I bet you're using wrong control center :3
get rid the gnome-control-center. the setting should be on cinnamon's control center.

Okay, I did that but I still cannot find the screen saver. I made sure that cinnamon screen saver was installed and it is, but still cannot find it.

Return to “LMDE Archive”