What is LMDE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

What is LMDE?

Post by raymerjacque »

the question i have is :

Are both 32bit versions Cinnamon and Mate LMDE PAE enabled ? it will also detect all my Ram ?

If its not PAE enabled, is it easy to update kernel to PAE enabled ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE 201303 RC released!

Post by xenopeek »

Enable PAE on 32-bit:

Code: Select all

apt update && apt install linux-image-686-pae linux-headers-686-pae
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE 201303 RC released!

Post by raymerjacque »

I am a little confused with lack of knowledge on LMDE.

This RC is part of a rolling release ? , so if i install it i basicly never have to install again since next version will be available via updates which enables me to run mint for years and be up to date with current version ? or does the rolling release only apply to stable versions ?

What are the major differences with Debian software wise ? do all the apps that i normaly use ( wine, kolourpaint, Stellarium, Opera, Flareget, AcetoneISO etc etc ) work with debian as well ? or do i need different deb files ?

Does LMDE Mate come with more software pre installed ? I see the size is 1.2GB download.

The software manager in debian is different to Ubuntu, how different, is the same software available just a different manager ? or is the available software limited and outdated ?

Does debian use the same terminal commands to the current ubuntu based mint ? or is it a major learning curve ? ( EG : to install the "sudo apt-get install" etc etc )

How is driver support ? is nvidia 304/310 drivers also available in debian ?

I have never used LMDE before, so i am just curious how much of a learning curve it will be, and if its worthwhile moving over, i must admit the rolling release feature does sound appealing.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: What is LMDE?

Post by xenopeek »

Made you your own topic.

Please stay on topic. A release announcement is not the place to for these questions; please post in the respective forums for your questions.

Most of these questions have been answered before. Have a look around the forum and of course the best way for if you are curious is just to boot up from the ISO, that is also what it is for--to see what it is and how it works on your hardware and if you can easily find the applications you need.

Return to “LMDE Archive”