What is LMDE?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

What is LMDE?

Postby raymerjacque on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:29 pm

the question i have is :

Are both 32bit versions Cinnamon and Mate LMDE PAE enabled ? it will also detect all my Ram ?

If its not PAE enabled, is it easy to update kernel to PAE enabled ?
Last edited by raymerjacque on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MakuluLinux - The Big chief has spoken !.
check this out : http://www.makululinux.com
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LMDE 201303 RC released!

Postby xenopeek on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:40 pm

Enable PAE on 32-bit:
Code: Select all
apt update && apt install linux-image-686-pae linux-headers-686-pae
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: LMDE 201303 RC released!

Postby raymerjacque on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:14 pm

I am a little confused with lack of knowledge on LMDE.

This RC is part of a rolling release ? , so if i install it i basicly never have to install again since next version will be available via updates which enables me to run mint for years and be up to date with current version ? or does the rolling release only apply to stable versions ?

What are the major differences with Debian software wise ? do all the apps that i normaly use ( wine, kolourpaint, Stellarium, Opera, Flareget, AcetoneISO etc etc ) work with debian as well ? or do i need different deb files ?

Does LMDE Mate come with more software pre installed ? I see the size is 1.2GB download.

The software manager in debian is different to Ubuntu, how different, is the same software available just a different manager ? or is the available software limited and outdated ?

Does debian use the same terminal commands to the current ubuntu based mint ? or is it a major learning curve ? ( EG : to install the "sudo apt-get install" etc etc )

How is driver support ? is nvidia 304/310 drivers also available in debian ?

I have never used LMDE before, so i am just curious how much of a learning curve it will be, and if its worthwhile moving over, i must admit the rolling release feature does sound appealing.
MakuluLinux - The Big chief has spoken !.
check this out : http://www.makululinux.com
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What is LMDE?

Postby xenopeek on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Made you your own topic.

Please stay on topic. A release announcement is not the place to for these questions; please post in the respective forums for your questions.

Most of these questions have been answered before. Have a look around the forum and of course the best way for if you are curious is just to boot up from the ISO, that is also what it is for--to see what it is and how it works on your hardware and if you can easily find the applications you need.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Other Topics