HELP why linux doesnt detect anything from harddisk

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonatutu

HELP why linux doesnt detect anything from harddisk

Post by jonatutu »

I am trying to dualboot windows 7 and linux mint 14 mate(installing via usb)
I read all kinds of guide on how to partition but I just cant find the solution to my problem
I shrink 50G out from my hardisk tried unformatted, NTFS, FAT/FAT32 linux installation just doesnt detect a second partition.
Please help!!
I have attach a photo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: HELP why linux doesnt detect anything from harddisk

Post by viking777 »

When the installer asks you the installation type you need to choose 'Something Else' (because you have pre partitioned the drive).
jonatutu

Post by jonatutu »

Yes I did select something else. The picture attach is under the option something else
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Does the USB boot or are you booting from windows and trying to install via the USB
--if so, I can see why windows may not allow a USB device to see undefined (to windows) partitions..

I might try boot from windows, unallocated (empty, no label) that partition, either leave it unformatted or pick a default type that is good cross platform (when detected by a boot), such as FAT32
  • The other issue is logical partitions (they exist withing a real partition on the hard drive)
    --the easiest format for an OS is physical partitions (primary); of which there can be 4 on a any hard drive: a consequence of DOS partitioning scheme during PC development ..(historical and exists even today, for a BIOS based boot)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

I also don't see how the two images you show match, first one, various windows OS partitions totaling approx 200+ GB of storage, of which you say you have removed approx. 50GB for Linux
--second image shows 320GB for /dev/sda
  • So /dev/sda is a total drive, not /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1, so no partition showing
--I can't get your image1 + image2 to total (ADD TO..) to GET APPROX. 320GB ?? [/list]
jonatutu

Post by jonatutu »

Yup my actual hard disk size is 320G but usable or seen is about 298G +/- (240G(windows) + 50G(partition for linux) + 10G(lenovo recovery partition)

Sorry but I do not understand what you meant -
[Does the USB boot or are you booting from windows and trying to install via the USB
--if so, I can see why windows may not allow a USB device to see undefined (to windows) partitions.]

I tried both win32diskimager & unetbootin to write linux mint 14 iso to my thumbdrive and boot by pressing F12.
I just tried leaving my 50G partition unallocated ,unformatted and FAT32 but its still shows /dev/sda.
I have no idea why my hard disk is always showing /dev/sda and not sda1 like what I have seen in all the tutorial.
Mine doesnt show the type / the size / used....

*/dev/sdb is my thumbdrive.

Return to “Installation & Boot”