(SOLVED)mint 14 freezing up?? a lot and my system locks

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
podagee

Re: (SOLVED)mint 14 freezing up?? a lot and my system locks

Post by podagee »

so far so good even when i unplug power and plug back in,there is no freezing.now im gonna install the new kernel.
podagee

Post by podagee »

BTW i think you meant kernel 3.6.3 as 3.7.3 is not for quantal(12.10) it is only for raring(13.04).
i am going to give 3.6.3 a go.
podagee

Post by podagee »

nope,3.6.3 kernel only lets me use the 1024xx display and it is really buggy and laggy
Gagnrath

Post by Gagnrath »

I think I found the problem with the freezing. It appears to be an issue with the screen timing out. Instead of going black as it should, it causes the machine to freeze. By disabling the dim screen feature, I have not run into the issue again.
d00med

Post by d00med »

Cinnamon is freezing so much now that it's unusable here, so I switched to XFCE for now. I'm using the Cinnamon nightlies and bleeding edge kernels though, but no freezing in other DEs. It freezes when the screen shuts off, at times, but also intermittently / constantly during normal use.
mick1027

Post by mick1027 »

I think a recent update to Mint 14 that included newer Nividia driver may have fixed my problems. I have been up for over 4 days now ( running Cinnamon ) without issue. Usually I cannot not make it one day without it freezing up.

Return to “Chat about Linux”