New to Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dave_in_MD

New to Mint

Post by Dave_in_MD »

Good Afternoon, I am Dave a network admin at a non-profit residential high school. In a week or two we are to receive 8 - 10 Linux Mint PCs, unknown version, From Johns Hopkins for use in our education department. What I need to accomplish is to join these to the student domain and use RDP to connect to the DC (2008 R2) where there is a mandatory profile set up currently accessed with a mixture of XP thin clients, XP and Win7 netbooks. Research indicated that this can be easily accomplished. I am not a total newbie to Linux, I have progressed as far as User, I have an Ubuntu 12.04 at home and have put 2 Edubuntu machines in place for evaluation by the educational staff.

Regards,
Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: New to Mint

Post by kc1di »

Welcome Aboard Dave_in_MD,
since you have some familiarization with Ubuntu think you find mint easy to set up the way you want.
and this is a great forum if you should need assistance I'm sure it will be available. It the machines your receiving come with anything older than
say Mint 12 you will want to upgrade them to 13 it's long term support. I say that because 11 and below are already obsoleted and will not be supported
with new security updates.

Have fun,
by the way nice name
Dave ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

wellcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
Dave_in_MD

Post by Dave_in_MD »

Thanks for the welcomes. From the upgrade suggestion, I will burn a CD with ver 13 LTS, and check that I have a Pent4 with no leaking caps to throw it on and start experimenting. If it works out well, I will likely switch over the computer lab in the special education area, only 4 machines, currently running XP, and a short walk from the IT office. As this distro is based on Ubuntu, as is Edubuntu is it possible to just load the new desktop package, or do I even need to, if they get switched to Edubuntu. SES, Special Education Services, is one of the areas where Edubuntu is being evaluated.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day
welcome to the forum
Dave_in_MD

Post by Dave_in_MD »

I downloaded and burned the ISO, installed on a Win 7 test bed as a dual boot Mint 13 Cinnamon, updated and added a RDP package that I have not yet tested. Expecting some inclement weather so likely will not be able to get back to it until next week, I sent my co-worker the instructions to join it to the domain so which ever of us gets to it first.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”