New Convert

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KopyKat

New Convert

Post by KopyKat »

I had a new computer built three weeks ago and had Linux Mint 14.1 Cinnamon installed as the only operating system and setups done. I kept my other computer (Windows XP Home) on a side table until I can get a virtual box installed and get familiar with Linux. This OS far excedes my expectations!! I love it!
Yes, there is a learning curve in my future but I am able to use Thunderbird, FireFox and the Libre Office Suite with no learning curve at all. I have a punch list of additional things to learn to do and most have been going well.
I look forward to being a part of the Linux cadre and look forward to the day I can fire Microsoft completely. :mrgreen:

Jerry Pritchett
Waxahachie, Texas
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: New Convert

Post by catweazel »

KopyKat wrote:Yes, there is a learning curve in my future
That's half the fun. I've been a dyed in the wool Windwoes developer for decades and rcently moved full time to Mint. I too share your enthusiasm for Mint.

Welcome aboard.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

I'd keep Windows on another machine if circumstances permit. Very occasionally I come across something Mint can't do and W7 comes in handy.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Hello Sir! Home sweet home :D :D
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Hi Jerry - Welcome to the Mint family. :)
I converted from Windows 7 to Mint KDE few months ago and been loving it since.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

If Mint doesn't get into the bad habit of chasing trends, like Ubuntu and some other linux distributions tend to do, then we can expect mint to offer a more balanced approach to the desktop OS.
--even if a mobile OS seems to be the trend (where its at) for now..

I don't know, but does anybody really like using a large touch screen: I always found that so tiring/annoying..
--but find it quite useful on a small screen: smartphone or TV remote control.

For customization: your own choices, you should find Linux more functional in that regard than the other OS platforms available
--even if Linux is not a platform, but simply an OS + applications..

Hope you enjoy the trip here!
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep welcome KopyKat!
"I don't know, but does anybody really like using a large touch screen: I always found that so tiring/annoying..
--but find it quite useful on a small screen: smartphone or TV remote control."
Yep works great for specific function and 7" is the upper limit for me.
As have a 7" Tablet mainly for ereading books,docs,manuals.Chess,Angry birds a few games.
Web browsing lightly and can check my library holds or look up an address on google streets,Look up timetable for Trimet Bus schedules. To quick email checking on the go.

Also comes in handy hooking up to my nikon camera and control camera setting up shots to also looking up stuff nature guides & trail maps out in woods to star gazing with astronomy apps. With Spashtop 2 app can control and access my Desktop Linux or Windows. Gfxtablet app can convert it into a graphic drawing tablet to use with Gimp 2.8.

So yep a lot of use for specialized applications functions and being on the go kind of situations where a laptop would be more cumbersome and more a determinant in lugging around.

But no way would want something bigger and have to rely using it for everything touch desktop OS with no solid keyboard. And wouldn't want a 10" tablet as enter into the netbook realm of bulk. And would prefer one of those in lieu of a touch tablet that size.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome aboard :D
KopyKat wrote:I have a punch list of additional things to learn
Awesome! Though do ask for help if you get stuck and don't actually punch anything :wink:
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Welcome!
I switched last year. I have found adjusting to Mint ridiculously easy. There is always lots to learn with any new OS and Mint is no different. I have found that if you know how to craft a proper google search and know how to write a clear question in the forums you will find answers as easy or easier than it is when using Windows or OSX.
Don't forget the Mint irc channel. That has come in handy for me from time to time.
Have fun and soon you will have Mint licked. Mint's gotten so polished it's really not much of a challenge anymore. 8)
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day
welcome to the forum

Return to “Introduce Yourself”