[SOLVED] LMDE MATE UP6 RC - Home files appear on desktop

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Luke Seubert
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] LMDE MATE UP6 RC - Home files appear on desktop

Post by Luke Seubert »

I recently installed LMDE UP6 MATE, 32bit edition onto a laptop with separate root and home partitions. I used the same user name in the new system as the old system had. (The previous system was Snow Linux, a distro based on Debian Testing.)

I configured the LMDE installer to reformat the root partition while mounting the untouched /home partition.

Upon booting into the new system with the LMDE Mate desktop, I notice that all the files and folders in my home partition now show up on the desktop as icons, a behavior I do not care for.

I searched through various preferences settings to find a way to change this, as well as searching these forums. without success.

How do I reconfigure Mate so that the files and folders in my home directory do not show up as icons on my desktop?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: LMDE MATE UP6 RC - Home files/folders appear on desktop

Post by catweazel »

Reports for testing release candidates go here: https://github.com/linuxmint/community. ... com/issues
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

create a new username, can you replicate the issue?
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

To edit directories in your home directory and to re-establish the correct Desktop, edit ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs.
http://lxlinux.com/#20
Luke Seubert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Luke Seubert »

seppalta, I edited the .config/user-dirs.dirs file as you suggested, saved the file, and then ran xdg-user-dirs-update.

After trying various combinations, including changing the Desktop location and eliminating that line from the config file entirely, I kept getting the same result. The files in my /home/user directory show up on my graphical Desktop.

I then got some clue, and created a proper 'Desktop' folder in my home directory, edited user-dirs.dirs to use that, saved the file, logged out, and logged back in.

Everything now works as it should. Thank you for the tip.

Return to “LMDE Archive”