Mint booting ends in "Power saving mode" display port prob.?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyy

Mint booting ends in "Power saving mode" display port prob.?

Post by mintyy »

Hello,

my Linux is currently suffering form a "strange" behavior.

Booting Mint results in a black screen (without cursor) going to "Power saving mode" eventually. Strange is that this happens only when the PC has been powered off some time (e.g. over night).
After rebooting (resetting) my machine three or four times (sometimes pressing escape during boot don't know if this changes anything) the cursor shows up and shortly after the desktop is working fine again. Reboots are now not causing any problems.

Overall I have the feeling that my Mint is booting quite slow and shuting down slow as well (compared to Win7). On my old machine Mint is faster than Windows.

Windows 7-64Bit works fine right from the first boot. My guess is that my Wlan card causes this problem but I it is only a guess ;-).

I have attached a bootlog and syslog up to the point where I have to press the reset button. (at least I think these logs are correct :wink: )

EDIT: Today first boot went without complication, problem seems to appear sporadically...

EDIT2: I think the problem is that my display (Eizo EV2436W) is connected with the display port to the on-board graphics Intel HD4000.
I found similar descriptions like http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=658662.

The problem occured also having linux running and turning of the display for some hour, turning it back on it has gone straight to power saving mode (again had to reset my running system). So there seems to be some sort of "discharge" going on when the display power is cut??? But to my understanding "power saving mode" should be entered only when no input signal is going into the display. Does the graphics card (HD4000) cut the signal when the monitor is powered off temporarily?

My System:
Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS BIOS 0606
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3225
AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (TP-Link TL-WN881ND)
SanDisk SDSSDX24 Firmware R211 (Sandisk SSD Extreme 240 GB)

Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintyy

Re: Mint booting ends in "Power saving mode" display port pr

Post by mintyy »

push 8)
mintyy

Post by mintyy »

Try hitting

CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE

brought me from the black cursorless screen to the session login, from there just wait a few seconds and the desktop appears (if auto login enabled I guess).

Have to observe if it works every time this appears. If so it's not a 100% solution but better than hitting the reset button.
mintyy

Post by mintyy »

Ok sadly CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE does not work every time to save me from a black screen and eventually hitting reset. :cry:

What I'm wondering about is that on a "stuck" boot with a black monitor , there are harddisk accesses until I press reset. My guess is that the GUI (Xorg?) tries to start over and over again.

Anyways this forum seems to be more reading than suggesting or my problem is too technical and should be better posted somewhere else :?:

greetings
mintyy

Post by mintyy »

... openSuse shows the same problem so it's not mint specific.

Return to “Installation & Boot”