Mint 14 - failing to start up

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kkwak

Mint 14 - failing to start up

Post by kkwak »

Hello, a newbie here...

Been using mint for a month or so without problems. I just installed/uninstalled then apt-get installed the iphone connection libraries and after that everything went tits up..

I rebooted and logged in to a nice message stating that it logged off within 10 secs and told me to check the .xsession-errors file. (Listed below)

Code: Select all

/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:kkwak being added to access control list
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_GB.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service
/usr/bin/gnome-session-cinnamon: 2: exec: gnome-session: not found
I tried going in to recovery mode and every option hangs at "fsck" (I've run this on the LiveCD run against the drive /dev/sda4 or something like that.. and it comes back fine..)

Would someone explain what's going on? Again, I'm a newbie coming from windows so please be kind.
(I just liveCD'ed and mounted my disk and saved off my files, so I feel a bit better now! Worst case is that I'd just rebuild and start over..)

Thank you all...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kkwak

Re: Mint 14 - failing to start up

Post by kkwak »

Lots of searching and reinstalling packages, but in the end, it was just cinnamon that was broken.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge cinnamon
sudo apt-get install cinnamon
Along the way, I learned the following, which I hope helps any other newbies..

Ctrl-Alt-F2 --> drops to command line
Ctrl-Alt-F7 --> goes back to the gui

dpkg --get-selections | less --> shows all the packages installed on the machine
sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq (package name) --> without the parens of course, for the package name

sudo apt-add-repository --> you can remove sources with --remove
cat /etc/apt/sources.list ---> list sources
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d ---> list ppa sources (think this was a folder..)

anyway.. still learning
viking777

Re: Mint 14 - failing to start up

Post by viking777 »

Well done :D

The difficult part now is remembering it for next time (as well as the thousand other things you have discovered in between times). Start a file called 'Linux notes' or something like that and put your discoveries in there. Make sure it is searchable because it is going to grow very large!

Return to “Installation & Boot”