Mint 14 Shutdown Freeze

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 14 Shutdown Freeze

Postby Kartright on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi Community,

I've issued the following problem with my Sony Vaio VPCSB4M9E/B notebook:
I shutdown or want to restart, and I get a freeze/hang. I manually need to restart with pushing my On/Off button.
But it starts correctly and i can use LINUX.

Please help me! :|

Kartright
Kartright
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 14 Shutdown Freeze

Postby karlchen on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Hello, Kartright.

In order to analyze what is going on during shutdown:
  • When you want to shutdown do not use the Mint menu item.
  • Instead use <ctrl><alt><f1> in order to switch to pseudo console terminal no. 1.
  • Logon.
  • Run
    Code: Select all
    sudo shutdown -h now
    when asked to give your password, do so. The shutdown procedure will start and write status messages to the screen.

If it worked as designed the last message which you might be able to read would be something about "[power off]" and the same moment the screen would be switched off, same as the whole machine.

In your case, however, the expected behaviour is that the shutdown procedure will not be able to power off the screen and the machine. It would be really helpful to learn the last messages which are written to the screen before the machine stops doing anything (and you would normally press the power button).

The same steps as explained above can be used, too, for rebooting the machine. All you have to change is to launch
sudo shutdown -r now
instead of
sudo shutdown -h now

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Other topics