New to Linux Mint! Where to help?

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nashimus

New to Linux Mint! Where to help?

Post by nashimus »

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new to Linux Mint. I've gotten quite excited about the recent progress of gaming on Linux. I'm ready to give Linux another try, as my primary operating system. I've had a fascination with Linux since 2006, but haven't been able to stick with it. Pretty much the only reason I don't convert completely, is games, but now that is changing somewhat, I feel I should show my support for Linux.

Brief linux experience overview:
I started out with fedora/mandriva and mostly used fedora for several years. I was surprised to find that I actually liked Ubuntu better than Fedora, so I switched to that. I've been using ubuntu server for a home server for over a year. I've recently decided that I like Linux Mint better than Ubuntu. So, here I am. This is the first time I've decided to participate in the forums.

I've worked professionally in IT since 2003 and currently work as a DBA/swiss army knife, performing a multitude of duties pertaining to business intelligence. I've developed using C++ (mostly in school), JAVA. C#, asp.net and misc web development e.g. CSS, PHP etc. I've mostly used Microsoft technologies, (because that's what my employers have been using), but I would really like to participate in the development of something for open source linux, maybe even something Mint specific. I'd like to find something that I care about and could really get behind; if you know what I mean. I'd love to work with something multimedia related (which would be new ground for me). Also, I'm interested in learning Python.

So, my first question is; what are some interesting open source projects that need help? :D

Thanks,
nashimus
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: New to Linux Mint! Where to help?

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

G'day, and welcome.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome aboard :D All the development for Linux Mint is done on GitHub. You can browse the project here: https://github.com/linuxmint. You can chat to the developers on #linuxmint-dev. Just open XChat from your menu, and once connected type the following to join the developer channel: /join #linuxmint-dev. Development is a lot of fun and it doesn’t take much to get started. If you’re tempted to join the team, don’t hesitate to follow the development on GitHub and come and chat with the developers :wink:

For working on open source projects, knowing your way around Git and GitHub is probably useful. GitHub has a code school where you can learn the basics in 15 minutes: http://http://try.github.com.

There is lots of exciting development going on for Linux Mint. Aside from browsing GitHub, having a look at the blog, Cinnamon news and the current roadmap for Linux Mint 15 might give you some inspiration. A good first project might be to write a Cinnamon applet, you know, just to flex your fingers a bit :wink:
nashimus

Post by nashimus »

Thanks for the direction xenopeek! I'll definitely want to start simple, so this is very helpful information.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Good day
welcome to the forum

Return to “Introduce Yourself”