ATI HD 6770M Driver Issue

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zerosquared

ATI HD 6770M Driver Issue

Post by zerosquared »

Hello,

New to Linux, coming from a mostly Mac and Windows background. I've just installed the newest version of Linux Mint (Mate 32bit) in a dual boot configuration and I'm having some issues installing the most up to date ATI drivers. I've read and followed these instructions (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0m#p565062) to no avail.

The error I get when I try to use the package directly from ATI has something to do with a pluma text encoding error.

Could not open the file /home/paladin/Downloads/…13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run.
pluma has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.

System specs:

HP DV7t-c600 2.3 GHZ quad-core i7
16 GB ram
2 GB ATI HD 6770M
Integrated Intel graphics chip
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: ATI HD 6770M Driver Issue

Post by bigj231 »

It is a binary file. You need to make it executable and run it from the terminal. Also, do the ones included with the Additional Hardware tool not work for you? ATI drivers caused me lots of headaches in the past.
zerosquared

Post by zerosquared »

Ahhh yes binary. I read the instructions on ATI's website, which are a litle out of date so I'll try that next. Just did a fresh install of Mint because fooling around with ATI totally jacked X11.
zerosquared

Post by zerosquared »

The binary fails -- says something about lib32gcc1 not present from apt-get. So I went through synpatic and used the fglrx drivers and the error I get from the ATI popup is:

"There was a problem initializing Catalyst COntrol Center Linux Edition. It could be caused by the following:
No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly" || "Please install the AMD driver appropriate for you [sic] AMD hardware, or configure using aticonfig"
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

If you installed the drivers, you can run

Code: Select all

aticonfig --initial
Or something like that. It's been a while since I've had to install Mint on an AMD machine. I think you have to run that command as root. Try it without root first though.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

bigj231 wrote:If you installed the drivers, you can run

Code: Select all

aticonfig --initial
Or something like that. It's been a while since I've had to install Mint on an AMD machine. I think you have to run that command as root. Try it without root first though.
<facepalm>

How is that going to help him when he can't install the driver?

Sheesh.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

zerosquared wrote: 2 GB ATI HD 6770M
Integrated Intel graphics chip
That's what's wrong. The machine has hybrid graphics, which isn't supported by AMD on Linux. If you intend to run any distribution of Linux then you'll have to switch the AMD video off in BIOS and run with the Intel video only.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
albertbaxter

Post by albertbaxter »

I have just Minted a HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook and found the solution
by a good person who had corrected another person's incorrect solution.
This unit had an amd/intel dual graphics solution and the driver that comes with
the software and subsequent update was buggy.
I used the solution eg,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binar ... d_graphics
and this worked!!
by selecting the suggested default settings in the ATI program

Hope this helps someone

Albert
zerosquared

Post by zerosquared »

I apologize that I haven't posted an update to this issue. I was able to get the ATI proprietary drivers to work! I haven't been able to re-test and I am going from memory here but basically what I did was follow the advice on ATI's website.

I downloaded the ATI drivers and got the binary file ready to run
Removed all of the generic and ATI drivers that I had been trying to install via Synaptic
Rebooted > Because there is no active driver X11 hates you
From command prompt I executed the ATI proprietary driver installation (It will look like an old Slackware distro gui installation; blue screens, etc)
Everything has worked perfectly afterwards.

The Catalyst drivers are install and the Catalyst control center application works. If I have the time, I have been planning on doing a full disk encryption and doing a full disk installation of Linux MInt and if I get around to it then I'll make sure I document my installation of the drivers and update this post.

To get the fn+brightness controller to work on the laptop I followed these instructions and it works perfectly: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=112095

Return to “Hardware Support”