Is OpenDNS already on Linux Mint?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGta2014

Is OpenDNS already on Linux Mint?

Post by MrGta2014 »

Ok i installed Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon x64 Version so i went to WorldStarHiphop.com and it says its blocked on this network using Open DNS on firefox and Google chrome, First of all i own my Comcast internet im the only one that uses it plus i don't use open dns and i never used it i used a different pc and my macbook on the same network and its not block at all, its only blocked on pc with Linux Mint. The Description says its blocked for Video Sharing,Music,Lingerie/Bikini???? why is Open DNS on Linux Mint and is there anyway to get rid of it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Is OpenDNS already on Linux Mint?

Post by catweazel »

MrGta2014 wrote:why is Open DNS on Linux Mint
It isn't. Ask your ISP why they are using it. The phrase "this network" should have given you the clue that your ISP is using it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MrGta2014

Post by MrGta2014 »

But im using other computers that are connected to the same network and they can go to the website and others with out problems.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MrGta2014 wrote:But im using other computers that are connected to the same network and they can go to the website and others with out problems.
Then perhaps you should check to see if it is installed on that computer.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MrGta2014

Post by MrGta2014 »

I have never even used OpenDNS. and i didnt install it.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MrGta2014 wrote:i didnt install it.
Does that mean it isn't installed? And have you checked if that machine is going through a proxy?
MrGta2014

Post by MrGta2014 »

how do i check that?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MrGta2014 wrote:how do i check that?
I re-read your first post. You've probably got parental controls installed. In the main menu choose System Tools > System Settings. In the network applet, select the network proxy option. You'll probably find that the IP is being pointed to OpenDNS. Set it to 'None'.

You can check for OpenDNS by going here: https://store.opendns.com/familyshield/welcome/
MrGta2014

Post by MrGta2014 »

it still doesn't work.
marshmat

Post by marshmat »

MrGta2014 is correct, Linux Mint 14 does use OpenDNS as a fall-back by default if it encounters any problems reaching the normal DNS servers. The OpenDNS servers themselves apply censorship controls, including fairly aggressive domain blocking. If for any reason Mint doesn't get a response from the default DNS server for that connection, it'll switch to the fall-back DNS servers, which are (by default) the heavily censored OpenDNS ones. On occasion, for unclear reasons, Mint will prefer OpenDNS instead of your normal servers.

To get DNS working properly, enter in a terminal:
sudo gedit /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail

Replace the two OpenDNS IP addresses with those of trusted DNS servers (popular ones are Google's 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 ), or comment out those lines completely (put a # in front of them). Save and reboot. Censorship should be gone after reboot.

Related references:
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2234
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=128529
OzOle

Post by OzOle »

Thank you marshmat!

Im disgusted, who in his right mind would introduce this CRAP SPAM site: OpenDSL into Linux Mint?

This is the kind of stupid decision that would make me reconsider using Linux Mint in the future.

Right now I'm shunted off to this spam site when I try to connect to my bank's online website!!!
I have the site in my bookmarks and when I click on the bookmark I'm sent to OpenDSL ?????????????

I will apply marshmat's fix so I can again access my bank and other websites I use regularly.

I strongly urge Linux Mint's developers to remove this CRAP ASAP!
OzOle

Post by OzOle »

Yep, that fixed the problem!

Just follow Marshmat's instructions above and you are rid of this very annoying feature of Linux Mint!

Thanks! Marshmat!
C-man

Post by C-man »

craig@craig-desktop ~ $ sudo gedit /ect/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail
[sudo] password for craig:
sudo: gedit: command not found
craig@craig-desktop ~ $

What am I doing wrong?
souprebel

Post by souprebel »

C-man wrote:craig@craig-desktop ~ $ sudo gedit /ect/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail
craig@craig-desktop ~ $

What am I doing wrong?
Not sure but it may have something to do with you being in 'desktop' in terminal.

This SPAM crap OpenDNS is junk and I just installed a new mint! What are the developers thinking?? :evil: Even the name is a fraud. It is the NSA and JPMorgan all rolled into one AND you put it in my MACHINE!!!! I looked everywhere but I knew it couldn't be FROM linux :shock: oh yes it is!!!
Thanks for the instructions to get this @#$%^&&* out of my box!! But I will reconsider Mint.
souprebel

Post by souprebel »

After reading many posts on just how bad OpenDNS is I have to ask why do so many in the mint forums say at first that this less-than-reputable DNS DOESN"T even exist in Mint?
catweazel wrote:
MrGta2014 wrote:why is Open DNS on Linux Mint
It isn't. Ask your ISP why they are using it. The phrase "this network" should have given you the clue that your ISP is using it.
catweazel wrote:
MrGta2014 wrote:i didnt install it.
Does that mean it isn't installed? And have you checked if that machine is going through a proxy?
More than once the answer is 'it isn't there!' But it IS there ! If I am ignorant of something then I do not give answers. But what I see are members that have lots of experience listed in their profile saying what just isnt true.
If one goes to the OpenDNS forums the crew there denies and is demeaning to anyone who questions their actions or wants to REMOVE them from their machines. Coincidence?
https://thomashunter.name/blog/remove-o ... inux-mint/
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=128529
I go through all the security steps to turn around and find out that Mint has left a loose cannon lurking in behind everything!
Get this straight MINT, Linux is too nice to lose to insecure DNSs , I'd rather lose MINT than have a compromised linux distro out masquerading as a secure box.
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

list of public name servers 2013 update http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstrick ... ervers.htm

OpenNic servers http://www.opennicproject.org/

# ( user modified 12.31.2013 in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail).
# OpenNIC as first fallback, server nearest (TX, US)
nameserver 50.116.22.226
nameserver 208.115.243.38

# Google, as second fallback.
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

# OpenDNS third fallback ( default by Linux Mint 15 in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail).
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

# ( user modified 12.31.2013 in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail)
Himpok

Post by Himpok »

C-man wrote:craig@craig-desktop ~ $ sudo gedit /ect/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail
craig@craig-desktop ~ $

What am I doing wrong?
pluma is the default text editor in MATE instead of gedit.

Code: Select all

sudo pluma /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail

Return to “Networking”