32 Watt only running Firefox,22W doing nothing is it normal?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phidias81

32 Watt only running Firefox,22W doing nothing is it normal?

Post by phidias81 »

Hello, since I'm experiencing low battery performances coming from win 7 to Linux mint 14 mate, I'm trying to sort out the problem. With powertop the consumption while running only firefox is 27-32 watt. Closing firefox, switching off wireless and putting brightness at minimum I still have 22 Watt, while I read in internet that for my laptop you can go as low as 7 Watt in WIndows.
I have an acer 3820tg, and "apparently" already switched off the ati card with this method
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p688844

But I'm not sure it's working, since the battery is draining very quickly. How to verify that the card is off?
Other suggestions apart from that to improve battery performances?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 32 Watt only running Firefox,22W doing nothing is it nor

Post by Matt267 »

Maybe installing "laptop-mode-tools" will help reduce power consumption. Although 22 watts seems like a lot power. Are you able to see what is running and using the most CPU time?

Matt
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Perhaps trying MATE might also reduce your power consumption. The video card on that device alone will pull 20 Watts.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep was my first thought also video driver used? And fans being on taxed 100% all the time.
phidias81

Post by phidias81 »

Attached the list of powertop for the current consumption, with laptop mode tools installed.

I'm using the "standard" graphic drivers, and didn't touch anything for the fan behaviour

Return to “Hardware Support”