Nvidia problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stratogiest

Nvidia problem

Post by Stratogiest »

I'm trying to download the drivers for my Nvidia GTX 280. I found the drivers all well and good but when I go to open the file I get this:
Could not open the file /home/vincent/Downloads/…A-Linux-x86_64-310.32.run.
gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.
That's what pops up when I try to open the file for the drivers. What did I do wrong :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Nvidia problem

Post by passerby »

Don't open it with gedit. That file needs to be executed.
That being said, instead of manually installing the driver you're better off doing so through a package manager.
eg. Open synaptic package manager, find nvidia-current, nvidia-experimental-310 or whichever driver you desire, install it, then restart for it to take effect.
Stratogiest

Post by Stratogiest »

not to sound like a complete idiot, but where do I open the synaptic package manager? I just started using Linux, as in less than 24hrs. using Linux OS
passerby

Post by passerby »

It should be in Administration > Synaptic Package Manager. You can also open it by opening a terminal (Accessories > Terminal) and typing in:

Code: Select all

sudo synaptic
then typing in your password when prompted. Or, if you'd rather, you can open a terminal and type in:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
to install from the command line.

Synaptic is a way to browse packages, install them, remove, upgrade, etc.

Return to “Hardware Support”