Linux mint 14 cinamon usb boot problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wisco

Linux mint 14 cinamon usb boot problems

Post by Wisco »

hi,

Trying to run linux mint 14 off of a usb drive it won't boot. I can boot it from a CD but it takes an average of 3 to 5 minutes to boot. I know the usb works because i have used it on diferent computers.

Heres a pic of what it looks like: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1894513

I've tried 3 diferent linux's.. so i'm thinking its something with the computer

thanks for the help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux mint 14 cinamon usb boot problems

Post by catweazel »

Have you tried reading the manual for your BIOS to determine how to boot from auxiliary devices?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Wisco

Post by Wisco »

Well it says usb flash memory and i select tht.. I guess it would'nt hurt to try and give it first boot priority in the bios and see if that has any effect
Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Have you tried a different USB port? I know I have a single port on my laptop that won't boot from USB drive because that port is paired witht eh internal port for my BT module.

Booting off on of the two ports on the other side of the laptop works fine.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.
Wisco

Post by Wisco »

just tried a diferent one.... still didnt work. I will try a diferent computer tomorrow and see what happens. The computer i'll ttry has booted other linuxs fine. Is there anything else that could be the problem
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Wisco wrote:Is there anything else that could be the problem
Yes, there is. How exactly are you creating the image on the usb pendrive?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Wisco

Post by Wisco »

i have tried unetbootin and also universal usb installer
Dahq'tur Revelator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dahq'tur Revelator »

Hi, I'm also a noob at this and I've just had the same issue. I followed the instructions at http://www.muktware.com/1284/install-li ... linux-mint for creating my bootable USB, and its been working fine for about three days.

Today, I shut it down normally, pulled the usb and stowed the laptop, and went to another location. Now as I try to boot it up again, the laptop freezes on the opening screen until I pull the linuxMint14 usb out, then it moves. As long as that usb drive is in a slot, the computer won't budge anymore. confused?

I'm using a HP-G62 laptop. I can still access the info on the usb using the liveUSB on another stick, so what is the 'grub' trick mentioned above?
Dahq'tur Revelator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dahq'tur Revelator »

Dahq'tur Revelator wrote:Hi, I'm also a noob at this and I've just had the same issue. I followed the instructions at http://www.muktware.com/1284/install-li ... linux-mint for creating my bootable USB, and its been working fine for about three days.

Today, I shut it down normally, pulled the usb and stowed the laptop, and went to another location. Now as I try to boot it up again, the laptop freezes on the opening screen until I pull the linuxMint14 usb out, then it moves. As long as that usb drive is in a slot, the computer won't budge anymore. confused?

I'm using a HP-G62 laptop. I can still access the info on the usb using the liveUSB on another stick, so what is the 'grub' trick mentioned above?
Update: I did a re-install from the liveUSB without formatting the drive and using the same user:pass and computer name I used originally. The install hung up for about 3 hours towards the end, but I was forced to shut down.

When rebooting, the opsys booted from the usb and loaded as it did before, and all the data (email/browser settings) all seemed to be intact. Rebooting the 2nd time wasn't as successful as it repeated the same behavior of freezing the machine.

This time, I pulled the usb and ran the system repair on the computer. It ran its diagnostics and eventually returned a "could not find/repair the problems" and rebooted. I quickly plugged the linuxmint14 usb into the slot and it booted back up again. hmmmm. Inconsistant is not much better than not working at all, most of the time, its worse.

Now the interruption on the install is becoming apparent because the system updater now returns this message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

So far so good. Now comes the reboot to findout if its going to stick.
Wisco

Post by Wisco »

Well i have found a solution but it does'nt really make any sense. With a diferent usb flashdrive its boots up fine on my computer at home. But the other one i was using that was giving me problems also booted up fine on another computer but not mine.... But now it does'nt really matter, thanks for all the help

Return to “Installation & Boot”