floppy disk keeps popping up, can't mount...

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jsplicer

floppy disk keeps popping up, can't mount...

Post by jsplicer »

I don't have a floppy disk in my harware build. I built the computer myself and saw no need for paying for and installing an out dated piece of hardware that I'm not going to use.

I keep getting a window that pops up telling me it can't mount the floppy device. It interupts everything until I just click on the close button in the window, in short a pain in the butt...

Is there a way to tell the OS to stop looking for a floppy drive? Some sort of command to get rid of it, or a setting I can't seem to find...Believe me I looked before posting.

Thanks for any suggestions,

John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jsplicer

Re: floppy disk keeps popping up, can't mount...

Post by jsplicer »

Here is what it says in the error window that pops up:

Error mounting system-managed device /dev/fd0: Command-line `mount "/media/floppy0"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/fd0: can't read superblock
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Have you disable floppy drive in the Bios? That is generally the way so OS doesn't even see it then.
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

Orbmiser ~ I think you are onto it there! It never mattered in Mac OS or Windows, I did had floppy 3 mode disabled and just figured that was for a floppy drive, but noticed above that there was a drive A setting in the BIOS for different sizes. So after you said that and I went back into BIOS I noticed it Drive A support was set for 1.4M ( I believe that was what the old floppy disk held), then I looked over to the left pane and noticed it did in fact have choices so I entered the setting and chose no floppy drive, saved to CMOS and so far no floppy window popping up. So I guess we can close this one out as SOLVED.

I Thank You very much for the heads up!

John

Return to “Hardware Support”