The way it should have been done from the beginning

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
llogg

The way it should have been done from the beginning

Post by llogg »

I installed Mint in a partition alongside a pre-existing Vista install. Because of Windows limitations I was left with 70% of my HDD space allocated to Windows. I now want to destroy the windows partition, expand Mint to the whole HD, and install Vista as a Virtual Box machine. Anybody know how to do that without simply reformatting the HD and installing Mint? I don't feel like going through all the configuration and installation of things I need for work if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mockturtl

Re: The way it should have been done from the beginning

Post by mockturtl »

llogg wrote:I installed Mint in a partition alongside a pre-existing Vista install. Because of Windows limitations I was left with 70% of my HDD space allocated to Windows. I now want to destroy the windows partition, expand Mint to the whole HD, and install Vista as a Virtual Box machine. Anybody know how to do that without simply reformatting the HD and installing Mint? I don't feel like going through all the configuration and installation of things I need for work if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance.
Sure -- you just need to run gparted partition manager in a live session. Delete the windows partition, move your Mint partition to the left, and "grow" it to fill the empty space.

I use unetbootin to install PartedMagic to a bootable USB drive. It has a nice gparted tutorial, too.
Last edited by mockturtl on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

mockturtl wrote:you just need to run gparted partition manager in a live session. Delete the windows partition, move your Mint partition to the left, and "grow" it to fill the empty space.
When you tell inexperienced users something like that you have an implicit responsibility to advise them of the dangers to their treasured data. Next time, please make sure you also advise posters that they do at least one backup and put it out of harm's way.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
llogg

Post by llogg »

Any problem if Mint was installed on an extended partition?

BTW, all data backed up to an external HD and cloud.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

llogg wrote:Any problem if Mint was installed on an extended partition?

BTW, all data backed up to an external HD and cloud.
Nope as have a Win7,Winxp & E: data primaries. My linux is on extended / , /home & swap all are extended.

Yep always backup that can't afford to lose data.

Return to “Installation & Boot”