Linux Mint on supercomputers

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

Linux Mint on supercomputers

Post by Brahim Salem »

i want to know whether Linux Mint has been tested on supercomputers before :D What were the results :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: Linux Mint on supercomputers

Post by homerscousin »

I have read the odd article about a new supercomputer coming online and running Linux. But, I doubt they run an off the shelf version of Linux like we would. They probably make their own to suit their needs.
wswack

Post by wswack »

Over ninety percent of super computers and ninety-five of the top one hundred super computers run on linux. So I have heard.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I read an article about the usage share of operating systems statistics and it states that according to TOP500 project that lists and ranks the 500 fastest supercomputers in the world, since November 2010, out of the top 500 systems, 459 (91.8%) run a Linux distribution. Linux is also selected as the operating system for the world's most powerful supercomputer. But acording to w3schools.com OS platform statistics Linux share hasn't gone beyond 5% from 2003-2012 :shock: :shock: That's amazing because since the introduction of Ubuntu in 2004 and Linux Mint 2006, Linux popilarity increased dramatically, But these cyclic statistics remained the same. I think they are faking them so that this multinational Microsoft corners the IT market!! And the question that pops up is: why is Linux so popular on supercomputers while it is still struggling to become mainstream on desktops and laptops??? :roll: :roll:
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bjornmu »

The end user additions that Mint provides on top of Ubuntu are of no use on supercomputers, and installation may also be a nightmare. I doubt anyone has seriously considered it. I think SUSE and Red Hat are the most widely used distributions on supercomputers.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”