Who can make custom version of mint?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxmintnewfan

Who can make custom version of mint?

Post by linuxmintnewfan »

I did a test of several live cd distrubutions and i think linux mint is best due following reason:
1.Fastest to load
2.only distribution which have installed vlc and flash which i believe are essential things no matter what kind of computer user you are
3.fast install of other apps
4.Seems apt system is superior to yum of fedora/cent os as it can automatically install missing dependencies.
So what i want to do is to remove and add some apps and change default keyword layout.
This would be for my purposes only.
I can pay for such service.
Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
glebihan
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Who can make custom version of mint?

Post by glebihan »

Linux Mint is free software, which means you're free to do what you want with it.
If you were to redistribute it, there would be some conditions regarding branding, but since this is for your personal usage, go ahead and have fun !
linuxmintnewfan

Yes i can do modification by myself,but the thing is i dont know at the moment how to do it.Nobody here can do it as service?Normaly that is a way how open source projects make money,except by ads and donations they provide commercial support and customized versions.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

glebihan wrote:If you were to redistribute it, there would be some conditions regarding branding, but since this is for your personal usage, go ahead and have fun !
No doubt you are unaware of the Mint OEM editions.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
glebihan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glebihan »

TehGhodTrole wrote:
glebihan wrote:If you were to redistribute it, there would be some conditions regarding branding, but since this is for your personal usage, go ahead and have fun !
No doubt you are unaware of the Mint OEM editions.
I'm very aware of OEM editions.
They're still free software and afaik change nothing on that matter (please point me to information indicating otherwise if I'm wrong).
glebihan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glebihan »

linuxmintnewfan wrote:Yes i can do modification by myself,but the thing is i dont know at the moment how to do it.Nobody here can do it as service?Normaly that is a way how open source projects make money,except by ads and donations they provide commercial support and customized versions.
No, Linux MInt does not provide commercial support.
If you need help with specific things regarding this, you will find people able to help you, but I doubt you'll find anyone to build that customized version for you.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

glebihan wrote:I'm very aware of OEM editions.
Now the OP is as well.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
linuxmintnewfan

Ok so we confirmed how there is no official commercial support,and this link confirm that too:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/69
Now the question is,where do i found third party support ?
glebihan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glebihan »

linuxmintnewfan wrote:Now the question is,where do i found third party support ?
Here, or on IRC.
linuxmintnewfan

In which forum section should i post then?This one obviously is not right since nobody is responding yet ;)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

linuxmintnewfan wrote:In which forum section should i post then?This one obviously is not right since nobody is responding yet ;)
I venture to say that most people would view the forums by new posts rather than by individual forums. Many of us are all-rounders. You need to be ready to face up to the idea that nobody is interested.

Yes, I know it's cruel, but at least I'm honest.
linuxmintnewfan

I find it hard to belive nobody would like to earn money doing something what he love,more likely how just people dont check this section.I personaly neveruse view new post feature no matter what kind of forum i visit,i just go to section which i want to read and that's it.
glebihan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glebihan »

linuxmintnewfan wrote:I find it hard to belive nobody would like to earn money doing something what he love,more likely how just people dont check this section.I personaly neveruse view new post feature no matter what kind of forum i visit,i just go to section which i want to read and that's it.
As I mentioned earlier, if you've got specific questions regarding how to do that, you'll very likely get the help you need.
If what you want is for someone to do all of it for you, then I have to agree with TehGhodTrole : it's very unlikely that you'll find someone willing to do that (a lot of people able to do that kind of things won't be very interested in doing something for an individual user when they could spend their time helping the whole community).

For the record, mint even comes with the tools needed to remaster an ISO and do what you're looking for. Have a look at mintconstruct.
linuxmintnewfan

Ok how do i:
- change default keyboard layout
-add apps which usualy i need to use software manager or download them to install(also change default settings in them)
-remove apps which i dont need to save space
-change default system editor from libre office to gedit
-add launchers to desktop
flyboy1565

Post by flyboy1565 »

If your using cinnamon, they provide multiple keyboard options.

As for apps, can use the software manager to uninstall anything.

In the settings you can change the default setting for applications.

Add launcher, right click in menu..

Google is your friend... Everything is out there..

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
glebihan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glebihan »

linuxmintnewfan wrote:Ok how do i:
-add apps which usualy i need to use software manager or download them to install(also change default settings in them)
This should be a good starting point : http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918
linuxmintnewfan

glebihan wrote:
linuxmintnewfan wrote:Ok how do i:
This should be a good starting point : http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918
I tried it and i managed to add/remove apps,also setting a root password worked too(no realy need for that was just wondered can that be done).
But i was not able to figure out how to change default keyboard layout,any workaround for that?
And there is problem with network too as people in comments saying,i'l try to copy resolv.conf to see will that making it work.
flyboy1565

Post by flyboy1565 »

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KEYMAP

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
evilmrb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by evilmrb »

I can understand the disappointment of the original poster. It's fair enough if nobody actually wants to help but pointing to a link to Mint Constructor is not really much use. I tried and gave up with that.

I used Remastersys to create my own live DVD from an installed Linux Mint 13 system and lots of tools for writers. I have emailed 'linuxmintnewfan' directly to see if I can help.

If someone can direct me to any information about what I need to do to distribute my creation, I'd be very grateful.

Mr B
glebihan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glebihan »

evilmrb wrote:I can understand the disappointment of the original poster. It's fair enough if nobody actually wants to help but pointing to a link to Mint Constructor is not really much use. I tried and gave up with that.
I've used mintconstructor more than once and it's always done the job.
And since that's the tool provided by mint, it feels right to me to point to it first.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”