Does Nemo mount network volumes into filesystem? [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MoreHaleem

Does Nemo mount network volumes into filesystem? [SOLVED]

Post by MoreHaleem »

I'm running LMDE Cinnamon (64bit) on an EEEPC netbook.

It is my understanding that Nautilus used gvfs to connect to network volumes and that, at least in some distros, the newly-connected network volume was automatically mounted at HOME/.gvfs/[volume name]. Does Nemo theoretically do the same thing? I installed LMDE when the new iso's recently became available, and at some point a .gvfs directory was automatically created in my home directory, but when I use nemo to connect to a network volume (residing on an XP machine on my home network), the .gvfs directory remains empty.

I'd read on another forum that it is gvfs-fuse-daemon that handles the auto-mounting of volumes into the .gvfs directory. That daemon is part of the gvfs-fuse package, which was not installed by default when I installed the OS, so I installed it, but it doesn't seem to run automatically when Nemo connects to a network volume, and when I manually start the daemon, I end up with permission issues for the .gvfs directory (which still remains empty).

I LOVE the point-and-click connecting in Nautilus and Nemo, and for my purposes this is more practical than messing with fstab. However, it would be ideal to see the connected volume somewhere in the filesystem so that it is available even to applications which don't deal directly with smb shares (like Thunderbird).

Any help will be appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
glebihan
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Does Nemo mount network volumes into the filesystem? Can

Post by glebihan »

fuse (which handles network mounts) does not use the ~/.gvfs folder anymore, at least not by default.
I can't seem to find where the new mount point is, but you should be able to have it in .gvfs by following http://www.g-loaded.eu/2008/12/08/acces ... mand-line/
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I do not use or follow LMDE closely any more but in Ubuntu / Mint it has moved to /run/user/your-user-name/gvfs

Why? To confuse the user that's why.

LMDE had a number of issues with gvfs and samba client in general - don't know if this is still required:
Step 3: Add samba client packages

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
    sudo apt-get install libsmbclient
    sudo apt-get install smbclient
    sudo apt-get install python-smbc
Then add yourself to the fuse group:

sudo gpasswd -a your-user-name fuse
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
glebihan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glebihan »

LMDE does not use /run/user/your-user-name/gvfs (at least it doesn't here).

Also, this was not done in order to confuse users, but as a security.
I've heard of several sad stories of users who ran commands such as "rm -rf ~/.*" and wiped out a remote mount by doing so...
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

@MoreHaleem,

Run the following command:

mount
It will tell you where the gvfs mount point has gone to since apparently no one knows.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
glebihan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by glebihan »

altair4 wrote:@MoreHaleem,

Run the following command:

mount
It will tell you where the gvfs mount point has gone to since apparently no one knows.
That's the weird thing actually here, fuse mounts do not show in mtab...
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

@MoreHaleem,

I downloaded: linuxmint-201303-cinnamon-dvd-32bit-rc.iso

After installation it appears LMDE still does not install all of the gvfs components correctly as you pointed out in your original post so I followed the steps I posted earlier:

sudo gpasswd -a altair fuse
Then I rebooted.

I opened up a terminal, ran the following command, and am posting the output:
altair@lmde-cin ~ $ mount | grep gvfs
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/altair/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
So it would appear that the gvfs mount point is where it used to be in earlier LMDE's and in Ubuntu/Mint prior to Mint14.

BTW, I can access a remote share and it does in fact appear and I can access it at that mount point: /home/altair/.gvfs/share-name on server-name.

Now I haven't done any updates to this install so I don't know if things get discombobulated afterwards but when I get time I will do so.
MoreHaleem

Re: Does Nemo mount network volumes in the filesystem? [SOLV

Post by MoreHaleem »

Ah...yes...success! altair4's solution works! To confirm, steps are...

1 - Install gvfs-fuse (which, as we've noted, is NOT installed by default in LMDE):
2 - Add user to fuse group:
sudo gpasswd -a [user name] fuse
4 - Reboot
5 - OPTIONAL: Create link to ~/.gvfs so that mounted volumes appear in a non-hidden directory.

ALTAIR4, I also installed python-smbc per your previous post. Do you know if this was necessary?

I'm marking this as SOLVED, but I wonder if this issue can be flagged as a bug or feature request (sorry I don't yet know the process for this). I'm no developer, but I assume it would be easy/safe for the LMDE installer to install gvfs-fuse by default and add new users to the fuse group.

Thanks, all!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

ALTAIR4, I also installed python-smbc per your previous post. Do you know if this was necessary?
It wasn't necessary for this particular issue it's necessary for something else to work.

You may not be aware of this but you have 2 printer configuration utilities installed. One is through Menu > Preferences > Printers. It's a Gnome3 utility and if it works for you then you don't need to do anything else. But if it doesn't you need to launch the old Gnome 2 printer utility which has more function:

gksu system-config-printer
Alas, because all things Samba are just not quite installed or configured correctly in Debian somethings need to be added to make it work with a samba shared printer and that's python-smbc and smbclient. Without these packages system-config-printer will not show "Windows Printer via Samba" as an option when you try to configure a network printer.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You know, one of the reasons I didn't want to get started with LMDE again is because it preys on my inability to avoid rat-holes ...............

I found something else which may or may not be a problem for you. There is no usershare capability in Nemo by default. You can't create a Samba share by right clicking a folder and selecting "Sharing Options". To add that capability to Nemo you need to install the following package:

sudo apt-get install nemo-share
Then you need to logout and login again for it to show up in the context menu in Nemo.
MoreHaleem

Re: Does Nemo mount network volumes into filesystem? [SOLVED

Post by MoreHaleem »

altair4,

You saved me from making a different post regarding printer sharing! Thanks!

I'd installed smbclient previously, which gave me the "Windows Printer via Samba" option in system-config-printer, though there was no "browse" butting for searching for shared printers. After your last reply I re-opened system-config-printer and discovered that I now have a "browse" button (since I have now installed python-smbc). This makes things SO much easier.

I'm enjoying LMDE...and even more so when everything works...

Thanks again.

Return to “Networking”