Problems Installing Linux Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Executor

Problems Installing Linux Mint

Post by Executor »

System:
- ASUS G53SW Laptop
- Windows 7 x64
- BIOS Boot Order: #1 DVD, #2 HDD

Trying to install via live cd...

1. I Daemon Tool'd the Linux Mint 14.1 Cinnamon ISO, opened it up, burned the fles/folders to a DVD-RW dvd.
2. Booting up, my computer does NOT boot up to the computer. It completely ignores it... even though DVD boot order is #1.

Ok... maybe I have to use "mint4win.exe" provided in the CD while running windows...

1. Choosing "Demo full installation" / Reboot now doesn't do anything, computer still ignores live cd.
2. Choosing "Demo full installation" / Help me boot from CD... SHOULD work, but it gives me a "could not retrieve the required installation files" error popup.

I would appreciate guidance :(.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Brahim Salem

Re: Problems Installing Linux Mint

Post by Brahim Salem »

Try to install it on a USB stick with Unetbootin which you can get at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and follow this tutorial http://www.accella.net/create-a-linux-m ... table-usb/ Good luck :D
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Possible problems
1) to a DVD-RW dvd. - Those can be problematic for boot to live CD try a DVD +/-R instead.
2) Are you mounting image with daemon tools? - No just right click .iso and burn to disc instead. Burn ISO not mounted ISO.
3) Are you trying to install IN Windows? which is Wubi type. Or Alongside on it's on partitions? Clarify what your intent is.
Executor

Post by Executor »

Brahim wrote:Try to install it on a USB stick with Unetbootin which you can get at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and follow this tutorial http://www.accella.net/create-a-linux-m ... table-usb/ Good luck :D
There is no "USB option" on the BIOS, only HDD and DVD. But I'll try to see if it accepts my USB anyhow. Honestly I don't want to go risk updating the firmware and having it brick.
Executor

Post by Executor »

Orbmiser wrote:Possible problems
1) to a DVD-RW dvd. - Those can be problematic for boot to live CD try a DVD +/-R instead.
2) Are you mounting image with daemon tools? - No just right click .iso and burn to disc instead. Burn ISO not mounted ISO.
3) Are you trying to install IN Windows? which is Wubi type. Or Alongside on it's on partitions? Clarify what your intent is.
1) Answer:

I tried using a DVD-R disk as well, placing all the files inside the ISO.

2) Answer:

I mount with Daemon tools to get the files inside the ISO. I then copy those files/folders into the DVD and burn it via Windows 7 "Burn to Disk". Wait... you want me to burn the actual ISO file to DVD? How will the BIOS know to decrypt the ISO file?

3) Answer:

I'm trying to install via live cd. So in Windows 7 when I run "mint4win" it gives me the option to REBOOT + LIVECD. However, that's a lie... I never get there. Ironically my Ubuntu Live CD works (with safe graphics mode). There was another option called REBOOT + HELP ME BOOT... but that still doesn't work.
Executor

Post by Executor »

Executor wrote:
Brahim wrote:Try to install it on a USB stick with Unetbootin which you can get at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and follow this tutorial http://www.accella.net/create-a-linux-m ... table-usb/ Good luck :D
There is no "USB option" on the BIOS, only HDD and DVD. But I'll try to see if it accepts my USB anyhow. Honestly I don't want to go risk updating the firmware and having it brick.
Actually... trying an ex-fat USB, I *DO* get an option for USB boot. I did the unetbootin suggestion with the Linux 4.1 Cinnamin x64 ISO... rebooted, but I get "Error loading operating system".
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

I mount with Daemon tools to get the files inside the ISO. I then copy those files/folders into the DVD and burn it via Windows 7 "Burn to Disk". Wait... you want me to burn the actual ISO file to DVD? How will the BIOS know to decrypt the ISO file?
Your thinking all wrong. the CD is the .iso and Win7 or using a program like nero will burn the iso properly. You do not do it your way with any success. Don't worry about the bios as you are making a standard CD by burning .iso to a blank disk. Programs that burn iso's already know how to lay down and burn the tracks with the files and folders already there. In other words burning an iso is taking a mirror image of a already created CD and just burning a copy of it to a blank CD or DVD.

Win7 already has a right-click burn .iso feature. Nero as well as many CD/DVD software have the feature also.
Goole how to burn an .iso to disk many options available and the only right way to create a bootable CD/DVD.
Executor

Post by Executor »

Orbmiser wrote:
Your thinking all wrong. the CD is the .iso and Win7 or using a program like nero will burn the iso properly. You do not do it your way with any success. Don't worry about the bios as you are making a standard CD by burning .iso to a blank disk. Programs that burn iso's already know how to lay down and burn the tracks with the files and folders already there. In other words burning an iso is taking a mirror image of a already created CD and just burning a copy of it to a blank CD or DVD.

Win7 already has a right-click burn .iso feature. Nero as well as many CD/DVD software have the feature also.
Goole how to burn an .iso to disk many options available and the only right way to create a bootable CD/DVD.
Lol yea you're a genius. Thanks. :)
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Lol yea you're a genius. Thanks. :)
Now if I can get my Ex-girlfriends to say that all would be Golden! :shock:

Return to “Installation & Boot”