change Mint-X gtk colors

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
giupeppo

change Mint-X gtk colors

Post by giupeppo »

Hi guys! I'm a new mint user, I'm running Mint 14 64bit Mate and I'm really enthusiastic :)
I love mate, I've tried kde, xfce, gnome-shell but nothing is immediate and easy to use like gnome2.. I also love the default gtk theme Mint-X but I would like to change the green with a more comfortable blue. I changed the section "colors" in Apparence preference but some elements are still green even changing the gtkrc. I've attached a screenshot to explain what I mean, look at the selection around "Documents" Can you help me? This theme is well integrated and really nice I don't want to change. I think it happen because it's a gtk2 and gtk3 theme..
Schermata.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: change Mint-X gtk colors

Post by caribriz »

Hi, giupeppo - and welcome to the Linux Mint forums :)

I have also tried to do this - only change Mint-X green "highlights" to blue.
As you say, you can change some elements (in mate) by customising the Mint-X theme in Appearance Preferences, and try to change some elements
in gtkrc files. Yet some things still remain green.

I found that I had to actually change the color of the actual images in the theme folders using gimp. So I don't think it's a quick/easy fix.
For example, to change the "selection around "Documents"" as you want to change - you have to change the picture "row-selected.png" in the
Mint-X theme folder > gtk-2.0 > Apps > Caja to blue. This is just one of many images throughout the folders I ended up changing like buttons and
checkboxes, as well as editing the gtkrc file and others.

I copied the original Mint-X folder from /usr/share/themes to /home/username/.themes, renamed the folder to Mint-blue and edited it there.
This ensures that the original Mint-X theme remains untouched and you can easily switch back if you don't like the results :wink:

I only set out to change those highlights but in the end, I suppose I have created a "new" theme with this result:

If you'd like to try it, you can download it. Maybe you can take it and tweak it further :
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w46axa4ku ... lue.tar.gz

Edit: Just looked a couple of posts down in the forum :roll:
unheeding has also created a Mint-X based blue theme - you could try this as well.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&t=126192
Last edited by caribriz on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giupeppo

Post by giupeppo »

Thank you caribriz, it's perfect now :D . I already tried the Mint-X colors theme but it has some issues with the panel for me..
Your work is awesome anyway, you should consider to share it on deviantart or gnome-look. Thanks again! :wink:
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

I'm happy it worked out ok for you :)
I'm just trying to learn about themes - having lots of fun experimenting!

cheers -

Edit: I forgot to mention - if some apps look "ugly" (like Windows 95 :P ) - for example, Update Manager -
I learned that if you move the theme from /home/user/.themes to /usr/share/themes (as root), then the apps run as Administrator should display properly.
This should apply to any theme.
Hope this helps anyone who comes across this problem.
unheeding

Post by unheeding »

giupeppo wrote:Thank you caribriz, it's perfect now :D . I already tried the Mint-X colors theme but it has some issues with the panel for me..
Your work is awesome anyway, you should consider to share it on deviantart or gnome-look. Thanks again! :wink:
What kind of issues are you experiencing with the panel? I've only tested it with Cinnamon.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”