Won't Boot Up Without Input

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Won't Boot Up Without Input

Post by Husse »

Grub always has a countdown to let you select what to boot
a strange screen
How does it look - a description is fine
I don't understand that you have to press Enter twice
Are you dual booting?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Post by Guest »

Hello,
I have the exact same problem. The first "Linux Mint" black screen has a bunch of numbers and letters in a box at the top left. I press enter, then a countdown of 5 secs occurs. Then, I press enter again, and I finally get to the screen with the 3 options where I choose the regular kernal bootup. I tried the install 3x, and still have the same issue, so I just left it alone. It's weird, but everything seems to work fine except that. It is inconvenient, though. I'd love to be able to get a fix for it. :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK
What computer do you use - the both of you
I know some hardware can give strange problems
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I am getting the exact same issue at boot with Mint 4.0 Daryna GNOME. The computer is a Dell Dimension B110 with everything standard from the factory except it now has a 256MB in one slot and a 1GB RAM in another slot. It has integrated Intel graphics - 845, I believe (not sure, since I am not near the machines right now). This machine does not have Windows on any part of the hard drive. Mint Daryna is all that is on there. Thus far, it is absolutely fantastic.

While this slight glitch is not a show-stopper by any means, it is unusual. I have an exact same machine and configuration running openSUSE 10.3 for comparison purposes. It boots without issue, but pales in comparison to Mint. I am very pleased with Mint Daryna, and loved Cassandra, by the way. This is just the first kind of odd behavior I have seen from Mint.

If anyone has any suggestions, I for one would love to hear it. I understand that there are going to be a few growing pains here and there. Maybe this observation and input will help out.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ok
The KDE edition on the live CD has a small bug that makes it necessary sometimes to press a key before the desktop shows.
Intel Mac and some other gets you in trouble with grub
This is one where i really would like a hands on approach, to get the feel of what's happening....
PurplePants
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PurplePants »

Hi

I have the exact same problem as the OP. When booting up the PC, I have to hit 'Enter' twice in order to get to the Mint splash screen. I have had this problem from the start (I've been using Mint 4.0 for about 6 months now) and it's never been a bit problem for me.

I have Mint installed on two PC, one a laptop (T43) with 1 gig RAM, and the other running a C2D with Nvidia 6600 GT, 1 gig RAM and an 80 gig HD. Both system will not start without manual input at the beginning.

A message does appear at boot saying something about the GC/resolution, but I forget what it is. I will take a note of this the next time I reboot and update this thread...
PurplePants
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PurplePants »

Right, I've just rebooted and this is the message I get from both systems -

graphic file 'etc/grub/message.mint' missing. Press any key to continue....

When a key is pressed, I get taken to the second screen where I'm asked to choose which Kernel to boot from.....

Hope this help :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

There is more than one error here.
I'll add this link
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 90&t=11365
some one else with the same problem and I'll try to solve both at the same time
PurplePants do you use a separate boot partition?
PurplePants
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PurplePants »

Hi Husse

Yes, I do have a Boot partition, as well as a separate Root and Home :)

Can I just add that before I stumbled onto Mint and deciding to use it on a more permanent basis, I was a Kubuntu (7.04 & 7.10) and Ubuntu user and not experienced this weird boot problem in either of the distro. The HD partition used was the same as what I'm using now in Mint :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ PurplePants
Your problem is because of the separate boot partition, message.mint has to be fixed
Copy /etc/grub/message.mint to /boot/grub/, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and change to gfxboot=/grub/message.mint
After this you will get a nice graphical grub and no double enter
I will read this through later to see if I can provide a solution for the rest of you
PurplePants
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PurplePants »

Husse wrote:@ PurplePants
Your problem is because of the separate boot partition, message.mint has to be fixed
Copy /etc/grub/message.mint to /boot/grub/, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and change to gfxboot=/grub/message.mint
I will read this through later to see if I can provide a solution for the rest of you
Cheers Husse, I followed the above and it worked :D much appreciated :)
steve9199

Post by steve9199 »

Husse wrote:@ PurplePants

OK...the question I have about this is "How and where?". I'm a total noob, but I can follow directions...LOL!!

Thanks again for the reply.

Steve
Husse

Post by Husse »

The solution I gave to PurplePants is only for /boot on a separate partition If you follow that advice and do not have /boot on a separate partition nothing changes except that you have done some copying and editing :)
I can't be certain but it can be gfxgrub anyway
Edit menu.lst

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
For KDE

kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
Find the line
gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.mint
and comment it out - add ## at the beginning
It may help some of you here. Please post back with the result
Oh - if you do have a separate /boot partition

sudo cp /etc/grub/message.mint /boot/grub/
The editing is already described
steve9199

Post by steve9199 »

Husse wrote:The solution I gave to PurplePants is only for /boot on a separate partition If you follow that advice and do not have /boot on a separate partition nothing changes except that you have done some copying and editing :)
Edit menu.lst

For KDE

Find the line

OK...I'm guessing I open Terminal to edit? Like I said...total Noob. I believe I do have a seperate Boot partition, since I used the "Guided" install from the Live CD.

Will wait for your response before attempting. Don't want to trash my install...he he.

Thanks again...Steve
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm guessing I open Terminal to edit?
Not quite - you use the terminal, yes.
This command opens up a text editor in root mode (and please use sudo or kdesu for GUI applications = non terminal apps)
I don't think guided install leads you to create a separate boot partition. This should only be 200 MB at the most, so it should be easily spotted
It cannot harm you to try the solution for a separate boot - everything will work fine, and perhaps solve your problem. If it's not that, then we try the other solution (commenting out)
If the problem still persists we take a break and sum up the situation and try something else
And please - if you have a Macbook tell that immediately, because that changes everything
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry if I have not responded earlier but this topic confuses me - I've been looking at the other topic involved
You write
since I used the "Guided" install from the Live CD.
Then you most likely do not have a separate boot partition and all you have to do is open a terminal and

Find the line
This is provided you don't use a Mac or some Toshiba or some computer with a "odd" recovery partition
steve9199

Post by steve9199 »

Husse wrote:The solution I gave to PurplePants is only for /boot on a separate partition If you follow that advice and do not have /boot on a separate partition nothing changes except that you have done some copying and editing :)
Edit menu.lst

For KDE

Find the line

OK Husse.....

I did as you suggested. The line "gfxboot=/grub/message.mint" was already there, but I had to use the "gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst" code to add the two number signs to the beginning. As you said, the computer now boots directly to the GRUB menu without having to press enter twice. Thank you so much.

Now If I can just find a way to get Mint to boot up a little faster. I was able to tweak my Firefox browser to get it to browse more quickly by following the directions in another part of the forum. Thank you again for your help.

Steve
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Be careful, read this post and the links within first. You may just want to make sure the partitioning / mounting scheme is suited for quicker results.
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =42&t=7726
Husse

Post by Husse »

Mint boots a bit slow - but unlike XP it's done when all items are present on the panel
I would not bother - you don't boot all the time :)
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Husse,
This quick edit cleans up the only smudge on an absolutely shiny and flawless installation. Thank you for posting it. By the way, Mint loads insanely fast!

Return to “Installation & Boot”