Modifying your xorg.conf only helps if you can't start X.
Well, I kinda wrote that I couldn't start X when I got to try. I couldn't start X even when I reinstalled MDM.
That's why I tried to modify xorg.conf - which I was told through various post online.
It sounds like your computer didn't even finish booting if it gave you one error at a time and wouldn't let you login in the virtual terminals.
It DID finish booting. I got to the same point in the bootingorder as last time I had trouble loging in. The only difference this time was that the terminal kept on writing some number (maybe the hardware-address - I don't remember the exact term, but I was told to write a number in from of the graphiccard in the xorg.conf - mine was "0:0:2") followed by "USB can't be initiated" or something like that.
This line of error was being printed out over and over on new lines - just with 3-5 seconds apart. When I jumped to other terminal the error was printed out there, too. In some
of the terminals it didn't though (in one case of booting I tried 6 different terminals before I found one that didn't write the line of error).
If handbrake was using your GPU (I thought it used the CPU to transcode?) it could have caused an issue, but that should have gone away on the next boot.
I think you're correct here. I didn't think about the fact that when using Handbrake then the GPU is being used and hence the graphicdriver. Maybe there was a bug in the driver - but I did think about that the driver was from Nvidia so they should be aware of all implementation. But then again - it's from Nvidia, not from Ubuntu, Mint or some other folks knowing about the Linux-implementation.
Were you running it with superuser permissions?
I assume it's still Handbrake we're talking about here. No, when launching Handbrake I do it from the default menus.
Also, the driver naming scheme would suggest that the other file you downloaded should have been a 32 bit package. Never try to install 64 bit drivers on a 32 bit system (and vice-versa).
Of course people are to use the correct driver concerning the bit to their system. I wouldn't even try installing 64bit-driver if I knew it was 64 bit. But I didn't see anything about "64 bit" when downloading the driver and I didn't think that the filename would consist of the bitnumber - I thought it would be the versionnumber.
But luckily the kernel was able to detect that it was a 64bit driver before it was installed. That's why I didn't install it either (I don't know it but I would NOT think that people even was able to install a 64bit driver on a 32bit system).
The nvidia-current package is just the latest driver from nvidia, pre-packed and ready for use (hopefully).
Oh, relly? I thought that the only way to obtain anything from Nvidia was through their website and do a compilation/installation yourself. But if "nvidia-current" is from Nvidia then that part is explained. But then again - when I had this issue initially I had a lot of problems installing a graphicdriver. My solution was to download a driver from Nvidia and install it separetly from debugmode. But aparantly the issue wasn't even about the driver it self (both drivers was from nvidia) - it must have been some system/kernel-issue and I was only able to install it from debugmode - not even from debugmode with webaccess so I could use apt-get to install nvidia-current.
GPU drivers were my #1 headache on AMD hardware.
I'm not using AMD anymore - this is Intel