[SOLVED] LMDE login screen doesn't show chars on keypress.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
darkness

[SOLVED] LMDE login screen doesn't show chars on keypress.

Post by darkness »

I was wondering whether anyone else had seen this behaviour. I noticed it after applying Update Pack 6. Basically, when I'm shown the login screen and I type my username, as I'm pressing the keys the characters do not show in the text field. The same thing happens in the password field (although in this case the dots/asterisks do not display). The keypresses are registering since when I press a key the text cursor moves to indicate that a character now preceeds it. Once logged in, if I log back out and repeat the login process the behaviour returns to what it should ordinarily be (username characters are displayed and the password dots/asterisks appear). Anyone have this issue or know how to solve it? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: LMDE login screen does not show characters on keypresses

Post by zerozero »

i saw that behaviour yes, sometimes and when the system was using nouveau (at the time i had a nvidia card)
please post the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
darkness

Post by darkness »

That may well be it as I'm using NVIDIA - it's like a race condition or something. I'll post back with the output you requested this evening. Thank you for your reply.
darkness

Post by darkness »

Hello, sorry for the late reply. The output to the command you requested I run is:

Graphics:  Card NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce G210M] X.Org 1.12.4 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NVA8 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4 Direct Rendering Yes
Do you have any ideas as to what I could try next based on the output above?

Thanks in advance.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i see that you're not using the nvidia drivers, they should solve this issue
you could try this

apt install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig

sudo nvidia-xconfig
reboot
darkness

Post by darkness »

Hi, thanks for your reply. I try not to use the NVIDIA drivers as they used to cause me problems on Ubuntu. I installed them on that platform to solve another issue and instead it caused another one so I stopped using them. If I try what you suggest, what would you suggest as the best way to back the change out if it doesn't work? I'll give it a go anyway. I keep my system light so if I have to rebuild it that won't cause me any great hardship.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

before you start, backup your system >> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... fsarchiver
darkness

Post by darkness »

Hello again zerozero,

So I ran the recommendation and it looks like everything is working as I would expect now so thank you very much for your help.

One question I have: the xorg.conf file that was created does not have the following section in it, which I was expecting to see:

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection
Should I add this?

Running the previous command you asked (

inxi -Gx
)now gives me the following:

Graphics:  Card NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce G210M] X.Org 1.12.4 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce G210M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.48 Direct Rendering Yes
It looks like everything is loaded but I'm unsure how GLX has been loaded without the aforementioned xorg.conf entry. Does everything look OK to you?

Thanks in advance.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi
the inxi output looks fine, i wouldn't touch xorg.conf if it was me
darkness

Post by darkness »

Perfect! I'll not tamper with xorg then. Thank you once again for your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to assist me :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”