Why do you use Cinnamon?

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby elemenophee on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:06 am

killer de bug wrote:
elemenophee wrote: It's hard to admit that it is far from stable for daily use?


Oh yeahhh ! Because Cinnamon 1.6 is rocking stable in LMDE. I didn't had any of the problems you described. You should start considering you're wrong ;)

Just read this forum. I'm not even telling you to search in Google, just read topics in Mint Forum.

Obviously if I see that I'm the only one I had not started this topic. But just read this forum, and you'll see.
elemenophee
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:23 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby killer de bug on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:28 am

elemenophee wrote:Obviously if I see that I'm the only one I had not started this topic. But just read this forum, and you'll see.


Show me !

Because by reading the first page of the LMDE section I don't see any complain about Cinnamon. just one post about it : someone who compiled it...
Which version do you use 1.4 or 1.6 ?

I'm still waiting some proofs. But right now you're wrong... :wink:


edit : and please remember that people without problem and enjoying Cinnamon are not creating a thread to speak about it. They just enjoy it :wink:
Last edited by killer de bug on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
User avatar
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby bimsebasse on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:37 am

elemenophee wrote:I don't know why you keep trying to show that Cinnamon is perfect and the problem is the hardware... It's hard to admit that it is far from stable for daily use?


As you've been told a few times it depends on your hardware. On my computer Cinnamon never crashes anymore, and I'm using nightly builds, no stability issues, last serious issue I had was Cinnamon crashing when disabling system tray applet, that has been fixed. Cinnamon has plenty rough edges but only on a superficial level (on my laptop).
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby bimsebasse on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:39 am

elemenophee wrote:Obviously if I see that I'm the only one I had not started this topic. But just read this forum, and you'll see.


Can you point to a shell/DE/OS without complaints, without users experiencing issues?
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
User avatar
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1709
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby elemenophee on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Ok what you say, it's the hardware.

Weird that Gnome, Gnome3, MATE, KDE, XFCE, Unity and LXDE worked pretty well with different distros (Debian, Debian Testing, openSUSE, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint, Mint DE, Arch) but Cinnamon (tested in LMDE, LM14 and Debian Testing) don't due to hardware.


Killer the bug, from first page of Cinnamon area:
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=117585
viewtopic.php?f=218&t=115183
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=118189
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=117960
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/1181
elemenophee
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby killer de bug on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 pm

There is just one concerning LMDE and it's not a big problem (Shortcut not working... waouhhh impressive).

Which version of Cinnamon are you using ?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
User avatar
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1925
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby elemenophee on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Just noticed that I have the 1.4 and no the 1.6.7. Why? software is updated. EDIT: added Romeo and updated to 1.6. System crash in every start :P

Maybe for you the shortcut issue isn't important, but trust me when I tell you that some people can't work without them. I only use the SUPER + arrows for move the window to another desktop, but there are people that use shortcuts for everything.
Last edited by elemenophee on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
elemenophee
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby zerozero on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:42 pm

elemenophee wrote:I don't know why you keep trying to show that Cinnamon is perfect and the problem is the hardware... It's hard to admit that it is far from stable for daily use?

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Juniper [Radeon HD 5700 Series] [1002:68b8]

if that is all the output i understand your problems, should be problematic to have a crippled cpu
http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Int ... o-3_70-GHz
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383921,00.asp
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/co ... iew,1.html
Image

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6493
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby SirSelim on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:59 pm

zerozero wrote:
elemenophee wrote:I don't know why you keep trying to show that Cinnamon is perfect and the problem is the hardware... It's hard to admit that it is far from stable for daily use?

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Juniper [Radeon HD 5700 Series] [1002:68b8]

if that is all the output i understand your problems, should be problematic to have a crippled cpu
http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Int ... o-3_70-GHz
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383921,00.asp
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/co ... iew,1.html


Sorry for the slightly off-topic, but does ATI have a graphics switching system similar to optimus? Reason I ask is because I only get the one line running the code you listed zerozero:
Code: Select all
lspci -nn | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [Quadro NVS 4200M] [10de:1056] (rev a1)


BUT, this is due to the fact that I disable optimus in the BIOS and run on my dedicated NVIDIA chip. Just wonder if this is the same situation for ATI users...

Back on-topic: I've never had any issues what so ever with cinnamon and LMDE64 (even when pointing at unstable). Everything is quick, smooth and a joy to use. Maybe when I get a bit of spare time I'll have a play with installing bumblebee and get the option of switchable gfx back, but for now I'm fairly content with everything working. :)

EDIT: just re-read and 'clicked' that this is a desktop situation, never mind me and the silly question (time to get some sleep I think...)
User avatar
SirSelim
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby cwwgateway on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:48 pm

I use Cinnamon because for me (because I have intel graphics) it is fairly stable with a lot of features. It is faster than Gnome Shell and Unity (on my laptop), and I haven't had it crash for a long time (I think the last time was because of a webcam that didn't work very well with linux :( ). It also has a good selection of themes and applets, and you can customize it in a Gnome 2-like way. It also has a lot of the subtle eye-candy similar to Pantheon stuff - I find the effects and subtle animations similar. I think that Cinnamon can become very nice in the future (although I think it's already very nice now), as it has improved tremendously already.

On the other hand, Gnome 3 desktops are slower than the other desktop I consider a lot - Xfce. It also has somewhat of a issue because a lot of the good GTK themes don't have corresponding Cinnamon theme (although I can get it put together fairly well). Xfce is more stable than Cinnamon, as Cinnamon is still a newer Gnome 3 desktop.

Overall, I think that Xfce and Cinnamon are fairly comparable. Xfce with xfwm compositing gives you some of the eye candy of Cinnamon with less resource usage. At the end of the day, I guess it depends on what I'm doing - I run both Cinnamon and Xfce.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby bigj231 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:18 am

I use Cinnamon because it doesn't randomly drop indicators from the panel like Gnome Shell did for me, and it's easier for me to use than Unity. It's also plenty fast on my system, and has no apparent bugs. I have found some bugs, but I had to go out of my way to replicate them, rather than seeing them in daily usage. I had several bugs that appeared in normal usage when I was running Gnome Shell.
Also, Unity plain upsets me with its dock. I greatly dislike it as I always seem to click the wrong icon, or it doesn't scroll when I need it to, or some other stupid little thing. I did use it for a few weeks while I was waiting for Mint 13. I believe I will stick with cinnamon from now on. <bad pun> :lol: stick, cinnamon, cinnamon stick! Pardon me while I try to sober up.</bad pun>
I don't run KDE anymore for consistency across my systems. It was fine when I was running it, but when the motherboard and HDD failed in that system, I never reinstalled it. The KDE applications and configuration methods weren't my cup of tea (but I do miss having an apply button), and it was too much to remember between 4 different desktop environments/operating systems.

I recommend Mint with Cinnamon to people who are switching to Linux because it is close enough to Windows for them to get their feet wet, while still being customizable enough for them to get their hands dirty.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz
User avatar
bigj231
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:16 am
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby elemenophee on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:57 am

zerozero wrote:
elemenophee wrote:I don't know why you keep trying to show that Cinnamon is perfect and the problem is the hardware... It's hard to admit that it is far from stable for daily use?

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Juniper [Radeon HD 5700 Series] [1002:68b8]

if that is all the output i understand your problems, should be problematic to have a crippled cpu
http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/Int ... o-3_70-GHz
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383921,00.asp
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/co ... iew,1.html

as SirSelin told you, what's the point of your topic? Do you know that integrated graphic cards can be disabled in BIOS?
elemenophee
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby zerozero on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:58 am

elemenophee wrote:Do you know that integrated graphic cards can be disabled in BIOS?

see? you do have hybrid graphics after all :wink: try to disable the amd then and use only the intel gpu and you will see that most of your problems are solved.
Image

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6493
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby elemenophee on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Dude really, if you only want attention, go to other thread. We are here trying to talk about something serious and you only keep trying to underestimate others.

You are showing zero knowledge about hardware with such comments. Do you know what means the word hybrid at least?

Really sad behavior from a moderator.

This is weird, today made a clean install with the same iso I had used time ago. Now shortcuts with SUPER and Print Scr are working o_O. Still full screen flash videos don't work with Chrome (they do with FF), they keep showing the panel.

edit: ok the big update after install is the one screwing up the shortcuts. Now they don't work again. Same with Print Scr.
elemenophee
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby darkness on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:36 pm

I have no issues with Cinnamon at all - I really like it. I'm on NVIDIA (GeForce 210M) for graphics and so have not experienced any issues that AMD users have had. My experience is that it is fast and pretty without being overly jazzy. I have tried GNOME but I can't really get on with that - I find I'm spending more time trying to find out how to do stuff and generally not being as productive because of this. YMMV. I also like MATE and find this to be the most productive environment (read desktop manager) on Mint. I switch to this if I need to do something very quickly and don't need the shiny good stuff Cinnamon gives me. If I'm showing Linux to a friend then I will have Cinnamon on display since I think that's what is the most striking desktop manager and likely to give the best impression. My two cents :D
darkness
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 am

Re: Why do you use Cinnamon?

Postby darkness on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:45 pm

I have no issues with Cinnamon at all - I really like it. I'm on NVIDIA (GeForce 210M) for graphics and so have not experienced any issues that AMD users have had. My experience is that it is fast and pretty without being overly jazzy. I have tried GNOME but I can't really get on with that - I find I'm spending more time trying to find out how to do stuff and generally not being as productive because of this. YMMV. I also like MATE and find this to be the most productive environment (read desktop manager) on Mint. I switch to this if I need to do something very quickly and don't need the shiny good stuff Cinnamon gives me. If I'm showing Linux to a friend then I will have Cinnamon on display since I think that's what is the most striking desktop manager and likely to give the best impression. My two cents :D
darkness
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Previous

Return to Others

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests