full touch support.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SomethingStupid

full touch support.

Post by SomethingStupid »

I have a touch screen laptop and I can select things with touch but I can't scroll on webpages. I also can't move icons around on the desktop. Is there any way to get the scroll to work or is touch not fully supported by the os? Its unfortunate because I like my new Linux os but this is a deal breaker for me. I want to fully try out touch on a laptop. I guess if this is the case then I will go to windows 7, having come here from windows 8, which did my head in. So, 1) is there any way to change this (I guess its just not built in, right?). 2) Are there any other linux distros which fully support touch.? 3) are there any plans to provide full touch support in future versions?

thanks

p.s. sorry if this is in the wrong category.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: full touch support.

Post by raymerjacque »

Im almost 100% sure that Gnome3 and Unity supports touchscreen. ( i think KDE may too )

Therefore you can always install KDE edition of mint, if KDE doesnt support touchscreen then you can always install cinnamon then install the gnome 3 desktop enviroment on top of that, its pretty easy to do.

Code: Select all

Open terminal and type :

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session gnome-tweak-tool

( important !!!! )

Logout and choose session gnome.
( if you get a display error when you log out dont stress, just hard reboot PC and it will go to the log in screen, then choose under session Gnome.

once back inside open terminal and type the following :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-extensions 
You should now have touchscreen ability.

If you rather want to try unity, open terminal and just type :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get unity
then log out and change session at log in screen to ubuntu.
SomethingStupid

Re: full touch support.

Post by SomethingStupid »

Hey, thanks. I saw a youtube vid of somebody with a touchscreen laptop scrolling on ubuntu so I hastily installed ubuntu (I was having problems connecting to the internet as well with mint). Then I found out that I had to install an add on called catch and grab to allow me to scroll. I probably could have just done that with mint! Oh well, at least my internet is working perfectly with ubuntu. Mint looks fantastic though, really slick and sophisticated if you customise it in the right way, so I might return to it some time.

Thanks again for you efforts to assist me, even if its too late now to do what you said. Appreciated.

Return to “Other topics”