system freezes when running software manager

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flnx

system freezes when running software manager

Post by flnx »

I have a problem with my Mint 14 cinnimond 32gb desktop system. When I try to search by entering a character( s) to search on, the software manager freezes up. This does not happen if I manually scroll for a software item. It does not matter whether I select a categories or run with all categories. .This seem to occur after I ran update manager over the past few days. i don' know how to fix this, Your help would surely be appreciated would be appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: system freezes when running software manager

Post by caf4926 »

I never use the software manager
Only synaptic
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
flnx

Post by flnx »

My current vers of Mint 14/software mgr. did work before and had no problems. I think it happened via updates. I understand your comment re: synpatic, but I prefer using software mgr. instead. So, how can I re:install it or have some one determine the cause and how to remedy it??
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Can you post result of

Code: Select all

inxi -r
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I second the opinion... I don't use SW mgr... only Synaptic. It didn't work correctly in Mint 13 KDE and now in Mint 14 KDE it won't even open. Sometimes, in Linux, it just seems easier to find a good alternative than to troubleshoot something beyond my capabilities.
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FireSoul »

flnx wrote:I have a problem with my Mint 14 cinnimond 32gb desktop system. When I try to search by entering a character( s) to search on, the software manager freezes up. This does not happen if I manually scroll for a software item. It does not matter whether I select a categories or run with all categories. .This seem to occur after I ran update manager over the past few days. i don' know how to fix this, Your help would surely be appreciated would be appreciated. Thanks
There are so much packages that it take time when ready,so wait long enough and it works well,i have seen same if try too fast it and if old computer it take more time.
As remember this it works well.
flnx

Post by flnx »

There has got to be a problem using the software mgr. I have it installed on my ubuntu 12.04 and it works well there. No matter how long you wait on the version Mint 14, it remains frozen. exiting or re-booting does't help either. I have tried waiting for more than 4/5 minuits but it never becomes usable. I hope there is a fix for this. I have switch to Synaptics which does work for the time being.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

For what it's worth I have the same problem as the OP. I now use Synaptic instead but it would be nice if the Software Manager worked correctly.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I hope someone can post some insightful info on this topic. Lots of problems out there, but I haven't read one single posible answer yet.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I expect the issue is that Software Manager is trying to do too much: category sorting, web site connections/pull-downs, user comments appraisals of a program
--as such, I have always found synaptic (for a GUI) or apt in a terminal to be more than functional
  • I don't require all that data to decide if I want to try a specific program, I think the program description is more than enough
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

flnx wrote:When I try to search by entering a character( s) to search on, the software manager freezes up.
Yes, it's searching all package names and all package descriptions (on 63.000+ packages) for any part of the text that matches those one or two letters you wanted to search for. That will take it a while to do unless you have a fast computer. So if you are a slow typer, or have a slow computer, open the Edit > Preferences menu in Software Manager and disable "Search while typing". Now you can type your search query and it will only start searching after you press enter. That should solve your problem.
bb333

Post by bb333 »

homerscousin wrote:I hope someone can post some insightful info on this topic. Lots of problems out there, but I haven't read one single posible answer yet.
I can get the window to freeze but the system remains fine.

Reproduce:
  1. Start software manager.
  2. Do a search for one letter like "b"
  3. Window becomes unresponsive and must be killed. System is fine.

xxxxx@xxxx ~ $ sudo mintInstall 
add_categories took 0.972 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.170 ms
add_packages took 4332.692 ms
First run detected, initial set of reviews used
add_reviews took 1014.357 ms
__init__ took 6079.369 ms
show_category took 7.432 ms
Overwriting reviews file in /home/xxxx/.linuxmint/mintinstall/reviews.list
update_reviews took 1020.722 ms
I have one core of my CPU pegged at 100% running the python script. Fails:

^CTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py", line 1415, in visible_func
    def visible_func(self, model, iter):
"b" = unresponsive
"ba" = slight lag then displays results
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

bb333, I just provided the solution. No further investigation needed; the Software Manager already has an option to prevent this problem for slow typers and slow computers.
bb333

Post by bb333 »

xenopeek wrote:bb333, I just provided the solution. No further investigation needed; the Software Manager already has an option to prevent this problem for slow typers and slow computers.
Not a solution. Software manager becomes completely unresponsive if you do a search for one letter. Search for "b" and hit enter.

"b" = unresponsive
"ba" = slight lag then displays results

The script shouldn't even allow single letter searches while during typing or if the user hits enter as this is bringing a Sandy Bridge G630 CPU to its knees.
flnx

Post by flnx »

Xenopeek, 1st I like to say thanks for your reply. I just about have given up after waiting for such a long time. I see other questions being replied to and was wondering why mine weren't. Anyway, It did work after I followed your directions and I thank you. Maybe your comments should be part of instructs when using Softw. Mgr. or set as a default in it. You can mark this one as resolved. If you are famiiar with EFAX-GKS application (posted under flnx ) or know someone who is, please take a look at my post. I posted it some time ago but no replys/answers yet. Thanks for your attention and assist.
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FireSoul »

Hello.

You got good answers from Admin and other users,here one way more.

We can choice from setting of software manager what web addresses give us packages,so can this working better as not so much them.

Don't take all of them to use,if it may freeze.

Go to MENU/SOFTWARE MANAGER/upside there are EDIT/MINT PROGRAMS ---> take first 3 and not more if problems.

MENU/SOFTWARE MANAGER/upside there are EDIT/ANOTHER PROGRAMS/you need there .

-recommended updates

-Important Security Updates

-Carniocal partners

-http addresses only what you need,maybe only first.

This way you can get packages what you need and not so hard to use.
Drumlind

Post by Drumlind »

I was having this same problem. Until I read Xenopeeks reply (which works great also), I was also just copying the name of the program I was looking for, and pasting it into the search bar or Software Manager, which prevents the freezing without having to turn the search preferences off.
LoneWolf_53

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Solution worked for me as well, though I must say it seems somewhat pointless, and counterintuitive, to leave in place an option that effectively disables an application.
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

xenopeek wrote:bb333, I just provided the solution. No further investigation needed; the Software Manager already has an option to prevent this problem for slow typers and slow computers.
error that is not a defination of a solution, more a work around.The potential for a processing bottle neck still remains for any new user!. I have a relatively fast computer .Type a letter 'b' into the search box of the software manager, and it freezers for x amount of minutes(unless that is you know the untick the correct box "solution"). That is not how a modern computer system, on half decent hardware should respond i.m.o .
Surely! the system should be designed so one program can't take up all the processing power, thus enabel the entire system unusable for X amount of time ?.

My first impression of Linux mint is that it's got great potential.But ,at times , it feels like a operating system that has been patched together, rather than a fully functuional system that you can trust to simply 'work out of the box' .I'm sure it will get there evetually :D .Indeed it's not that far off, if only these little issues could be ironed out, so newbies coming from windows won't be put off .
jamsterthecool

Post by jamsterthecool »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Solution worked for me as well, though I must say it seems somewhat pointless, and counterintuitive, to leave in place an option that effectively disables an application.
maybe it's a case of people naturally wanting to get on and develop the new and exciting, rather than fixing or improving what has allready been designed.That could be why linux isn't as counterintuitive as it should be .

Another example as case in point is on this very same board .I right click and 'check spelling' is ticked but no checking of my sometimes terrible spelling is happenning .

Return to “Cinnamon”