HPLIB not supporting Mint14 Cinnamon yet

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
psfal

HPLIB not supporting Mint14 Cinnamon yet

Post by psfal »

Mint14 Cinnamon hplib not supporting version 14

My HP Officejet 6310 All In One prints, but nothing else without a working hplib, which is only up to Mint13... Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
diamondjim08

Re: HPLIP not supporting Mint14 Cinnamon yet

Post by diamondjim08 »

Similar problem: running Mint 14 Cin on a Dell D630 and everything works except wifi printing with an HP c4750. Ran "hp-check" in terminal and got this:
Missing Required Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'libdbus-1-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcups2' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'openssl' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libjpeg62-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'python-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcups2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'cups-bsd' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'cups-client' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libsane-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libusb-1.0.0-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcupsimage2-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libsnmp-dev' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'build-essential' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libtool' package is missing/incompatible

Missing Optional Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'xsane' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'cups' package is missing/incompatible
error: 'libcupsimage2-dev' package is missing/incompatible

Total Errors: 19
Total Warnings: 0
This install was done as recommended. Synaptic says most packages are there. Wrong versions? Was Mint 14 shipped w/o support for HP printers?!? If not, is Mint 14 not compatible with HP printers? Printer prints fine with USB cable but HPLIP will not install the wifi. Whats next and what should I do? Thanks.
diamondjim08

Re: HPLIp not supporting Mint14 Cinnamon yet

Post by diamondjim08 »

Solved! I'll answer my question. In short, install HP printers (and wifi printer) through the CUPS, "Printers" dialog in Mint 14 - NOT using HPLIP!
After researching the problem, a link to installing using CUPS on Ubuntu 12.04 explains how to do it:
http://blog.sudobits.com/2012/04/13/how ... ntu-12-04/ Make sure the USB cable is plugged. In this case, go to Preferences/Printers. Dialog box opens and click the “+” button at the bottom left. The gnome-control-center box opens; click “network” in the list. Next box appears and I added the address of the printer – 192.168.1.1.106. Checked “Search by Address”, and it loaded the wifi printer for the HP C4750! Ran some test printer pages w/o the USB cable and it works perfectly – all through CUPS and NOT HPLIP. BTW, CUPS will recognize the USB cable connection and automatically add the hard wired printer perfectly.

Printer wifi address idea can be found near the bottom of this page: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-854466.html The address can be obtained by running the “Wireless Network Test Report” on the Scan function of the HP wifi printer. It is a self test, prints 2 pages and will tell the status of the printer - including the IP address of the printer.

After the printer was installed through CUPS, two icons show up in the “Printers” dialog box (one icon for the USB and one for the wifi printer- the second icon is the wifi) on Mint 14 but not in the HPLIP, confirming that HP has not written or updated HPLIP for Mint 14 yet.
psfal

Re: HPLIB not supporting Mint14 Cinnamon yet

Post by psfal »

Thank you, much appreciation here :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: HPLIP not supporting Mint14 Cinnamon yet

Post by AlbertP »

diamondjim08 wrote:Was Mint 14 shipped w/o support for HP printers?!? If not, is Mint 14 not compatible with HP printers? Printer prints fine with USB cable but HPLIP will not install the wifi.
Wifi printing has never been officially supported by HP. It works if you are lucky. Often you need to assign a fixed IP to the printer through its web interface to keep it working (that worked on Mint 10 + Photosmart c4780; never tried it again).
For me on Mint 14, hplip 3.12.6 is just preinstalled so Mint certainly didn't come without HP printer support. Without hplip, USB printing would not have worked.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”