How to get gtk apps in KDE to adopt theme properly?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintNewBee

How to get gtk apps in KDE to adopt theme properly?

Post by MintNewBee »

I wonder if anyone could please tell me how to get Rythmbox in KDE (I hate Amarok) to adopt the KDE theme I have set (a darkish one called 'Obsidian Coast'). It seems that other gtk apps work fine with the KDE theme (Firefox etc), but for some reason Rythmbox still shows as light grey & white.

Any help greatly appreciated as I would far prefer to use this music player in my KDE desktop, but looking the same as other apps.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcmint

Re: How to get gtk apps in KDE to adopt theme properly?

Post by zcmint »

It can be a hit-and-miss operation at times especially when getting Gnome apps to cooperate with the color/appearance settings. I understand your frustration w/ Amarok as I've had issues with it as well. If you haven't looked at Clementine you might want to give it a spin. It originally forked off of Amarok before Amarok went to 2.x and pretty much messed itself up. Clementine is a great player with lots of features (playlists, built in internet radio stations, equalizer, etc.) and I've never had any issues with it.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"If you haven't looked at Clementine you might want to give it a spin. It originally forked off of Amarok before Amarok went to 2.x and pretty much messed itself up. Clementine is a great player with lots of features (playlists, built in internet radio stations, equalizer, etc.) and I've never had any issues with it."
+1 using Clementine a major step Up? from Amarok which like to crash every other time I ran it. Leaner Meaner Clementine runs without a hitch.
Cerule

Post by Cerule »

MintNewBee wrote:I wonder if anyone could please tell me how to get Rythmbox in KDE (I hate Amarok) to adopt the KDE theme I have set (a darkish one called 'Obsidian Coast'). It seems that other gtk apps work fine with the KDE theme (Firefox etc), but for some reason Rythmbox still shows as light grey & white.

Any help greatly appreciated as I would far prefer to use this music player in my KDE desktop, but looking the same as other apps.

Thanks
Familiar problem. Firefox etc. work because they use GTK2+ and Rhythmbox doesn't because it uses GTK3+ instead. You should try kde-gtk-config if you haven't got it. There you can select GTK2+ and GTK3+ themes separately. http://www.netrunner-os.com/gtk2-gtk3-c ... under-kde/

Unfortunately, this doesn't work very well for me atleast. GTK3+ themes are only applied if there's equivalent GTK2+ theme selected too (for example Oxygen for both) but even then I got graphical clitches with GTK3+ programs (monochromic boxes behind texts). I solved this by ditching those programs. For Amarok replacement, I agree that Clementine is excellent.
MintNewBee

Post by MintNewBee »

thanks for your replies, I will certainly have a look at clementine as I havent even looked at it yet
MintNewBee

Post by MintNewBee »

hi again, just wanted to thank you guys very much for telling me about Clementine, I have it on now & it's seriously great ! :D

best music player I have ever seen, I can't believe I haven't tried it yet, it seems to be working great in KDE and the displaying of artwork & the gorgeous choice of on screen notifications is awsome. Far more intuitive than Amarok.

Very happy,
thanks
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Well to be fair to Amarok. Celementine is an earlier Amarok before it went beserk.

Return to “Software & Applications”