SOLVED: All USB drives Read-Only

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Foothill2112

Post by Foothill2112 »

This is weird. Just recently - last day or two - all my flash drives are coming up as read-only. I have seached for solution and tried them all. Re-partioned, re-formated and chown - all with no success. I have tried right clicking on the drive and going to properties and then changing the permissions - and it reverts back to read-only. I thought maybe the port on the front of the machine were causing the issue, they are not, it is all ports. I always safely-remove trhe drives from my system, so it can not be "locked".

Just tested and portable hard-drive that has been in no other system for a while and same thing. I should mention that one of the flash drives have been in my XP laptop, my blue-ray player, my sons PS3 and his win7 machine. But the other USB drives have not. And this has been an ongoing pratice of multiple machines for the last 5 years with no issues.

The chown comand I used is - sudo chown -R myname:myname /media/name-of-drive gives a reply of "chown: changing ownership of `/media/4GB-CRUSER': Operation not permitted"

Also tried sudo chmod 777 /media/4GB-CRUSER with no success.

I am running Mint 13 with Cinnamon.

Some input or advise would be appreciated. I use these everyday and it seems odd that this would happen all of a sudden. One thing that I am not sure has anything to do with this - it started after the last update I did a few days ago.

Robert
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Foothill2112

Post by Foothill2112 »

Not that I did anything, but later in the day there was another update, and all seems to be working now. Just habitually put the flash drive in the port and started moving a file and realized it was working. The two I tested are working fine.

No idea what was the issue. It was going on for several days. And must have stumped a few people out there since there was not even one solution offered. Oh well working now and all is fine again.
ben2talk

Re: SOLVED: All USB drives Read-Only

Post by ben2talk »

No, this issue is never solved.

I've had this problem on and off since starting using Linux in 2007. It's annoying, and makes me look very stupid when I say I'll put some files on my friends' USB.

Return to “Storage”