Gtapecalc

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Gtapecalc

Post by Dutchmaster »

One of my favorite apps is an oldie but goodie, gtapecalc. It is made for people who just want the functionality of a calculator one would use, for instance, to add up a pile of checks, print out the tape, and attach it to the checks for a bank deposit. I don't see anything else in the repo presently to handle this task.

Please know that I am not code-competent, but I have been using Linux for 5+ years now and have a decent amount of general user competence. Currently I have an executable file called gtapecalc in my utilities folder that somebody sent me from somewhere a while ago. Using krusader (root mode and regular mode both), when I click on it, there is no response.

Supporting info: With Mepis and PCLinuxOS, it works just by clicking it, so I can add it to the panel easily via the custom application launcher.

Are there any other files I need to dl from the repo that will activate gtapecalc?

When I try to install it, I get a message in the terminal that says (I'll remove identifying info via "xxx" from the directory names):

xxx@xxx-laptop:~/Utilities/gtapecalc-1.1.1$ ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
/home/xxx/Utilities/gtapecalc-1.1.1/missing: Unknown `--run' option
Try `/home/xxx/Utilities/gtapecalc-1.1.1/missing --help' for more information
configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Can you help me with my dilemma?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Gtapecalc

Post by Zwopper »

My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Gtapecalc

Post by Dutchmaster »

BlahBlah_X wrote:I'm a bit confused. Is this a linux software package you are trying to run? Or is it a windows exe?
the g is the giveaway that it's a gnome-based LInux program. I read it again and see how I confused things, though. 2 things discussed - 1- I have that single executable that was derived from installing the package and 2- the stuff at the end of my message was when I attempted to install the whole package. Neither method worked.

It is a takeoff of a utilitiy for windows that PCMag sold for $5 several years ago. I have that one, too, and can run wine and set it up that way if I have to. But I try to stay away from Windows anything as much as I can (call it stubborn pride), so I thought I'd see if I could learn something and get it running with Mint.

Return to “Software & Applications”