LMDE 32-bit Cinnamon Boot/Sleep Issue CLOSED/UNSOLVED

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
furbearingmammal

LMDE 32-bit Cinnamon Boot/Sleep Issue CLOSED/UNSOLVED

Post by furbearingmammal »

Well, I installed LMDE because I like the semi-rolling update idea over having to wipe my computer out and reinstall the OS every few months.

I'm trying the 2013 RC LMDE ISO on a Z61t Thinkpad, Core Duo T2400 CPU, 3GB RAM. I'm installing from a flash drive (SanDisck Cruzer Fit if it matters) via MultiSystem. I had a previous install that I managed to change a couple of MDM settings that somehow prevented me from logging in, so I killed the install figuring I had everything backed up via Dropbox except my FireFox tabs and those were easily replacable -- all 2 of them.

I also did some updates (first thing I do when I log into my system is updates) and all of a sudden the system won't suspend when the lid is closed. Not only that, but even though I told the system to log me in automatically it refused to. Both issues were frustrating, but I was dealing with them until I changed the settings that prevented me from being able to log in.

Boom, on to the OS reinstall. I haven't done any updates yet, but I'm still having an issue. When I boot up it tells me this about halfway through the loading procedure:
process 203 GLib warning getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown userid (0)
I might be missing a colon or something in there, but that's essentially what it says. This has been ongoing since I first install LMDE. I'll report back after I try the updates and see if I still have the issues with suspending and boot. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but with the login issue I have to wonder.

Other than that, my only issue is preferring XFCE for laptops, but I'm finding this rig has enough horsepower to handle Cinnamon without bogging down.

EDIT:

Nothing worked and installs kept eating themselves. Even an older XFCE version wouldn't update, instead XFCE seemed to get uninstalled during the marathon update proceedings, leaving me with a terminal-only install I couldn't work with. Installed XFCE Mint 13 for testing instead. So much for 32-bit LMDE. Will try 64-bit when I have a new CPU in the laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
furbearingmammal

Re: LMDE 32-bit Cinnamon Boot/Sleep Issue

Okay, it borked itself this time.

First sign of an issue is the theme I applied to Cinnamon stopped working -- white desktop icon text suddenly turns black, terminal is black on black -- and when I reboot it puts me in a can't log in loop whatever I choose to log into (Cinnamon 2D, Gnome, etc). Recovery mode works, but that's annoying and slow. I do see that Plymouth fails in between the "oops, something went wrong" screen and the login screen.

I'm going to try the MATE version (when I get into my free download zone at 2AM) to see if this solves the issue, and if not I'll try the XFCE community edition before giving up for now and waiting for the final release. I'm willing to do some troubleshooting to help, but I'm far from an expert.
furbearingmammal

Re: LMDE 32-bit Cinnamon Boot/Sleep Issue

I downloaded the MATE version, installed it, and I'm not going to test it any more than I already have because I can't stand the menu layout. I did set up automatic login (and spent longer looking for what I needed to change than I did working on the rest of the system) and it worked the one time I could bring myself to try it, but I didn't do any updates. As such I can't call it a successful test.

I'm going to try the unofficial XFCE version, but once again I'll have to wait until the free download zone rolls around again.

I'm thinking the problem is with Cinnamon, honestly, because of the way themes go wonky before the system eats itself. Since I'm planning on upgrading the CPU to a 64-bit version some time next week, the problem may well be moot, too, as it may be a 32-bit problem. I guess we'll see.
furbearingmammal

Re: LMDE 32-bit Cinnamon Boot/Sleep Issue -- UNSOLVED and CL

The 2011 LMDE XFCE release ate itself -- updates tried to install, failed, and then ate XFCE. I was stuck with a terminal-like interface.

So, I gave up on LMDE until the official release, at which point I will have a 64-bit processor in the system and will try 64-bit LMDE Cinnamon. In the meantime I'm attempting to update Nadia XFCE and test it so I know if it's appropriate to install on a Thinkpad R51 I'm refurbishing for someone. I guess this means I won't be continuing to troubleshoot. I wish I'd been able to figure something out or had receieved some kind of help.
tuktuk22

Re: LMDE 32-bit Cinnamon Boot/Sleep Issue CLOSED/UNSOLVED

Post by tuktuk22 »

hello there..

i am too install lmde 201104 xfce 32 bit, and after a broken updates, i got nothing but broken system.
i managed to boot at recovery mode, got connected with wvdial and repeat the update

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
but after hours of downloading, i cannot log in. it continues to reboot after i enter my user name and password.
and i found the solution from googling (forget the exact website because is week ago).

i go to recovery mode again and do

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install fglrx-driver fglrx-control
sudo /usr/bin/aticonfig --initial
reboot
and mint LMDE is up again. hope can help.
regards.

Return to “LMDE Archive”