How to tell if I have Update Package 6

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jaypat35

How to tell if I have Update Package 6

Post by jaypat35 »

I am trying to make sure that I updated properly to UP6. When I click on 'About' in Update Manager it says 'Mint Update 4.4.7.' I want to make sure that I have UP6. But whenever I run update/upgrade in terminal it says my system is up to date. Please advise on how to make sure I am updated and if not, how do I update to UP6. As I am not certain how to make sure I am pointing to correct mirror. I use Maya as my main distro, but I like LMDE better because of the feature of not having to do a fresh install. And it just seems faster! Thanks in advance...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LZux

Re: How to tell if I have Update Package 6

Post by LZux »

Within Update Manager there's an 'Update Pack Info', with a lightbulb picture. Click on it and tells you what update pack is latest and what you're currently on.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

jaypat35 wrote: But whenever I run update/upgrade in terminal it says my system is up to date
lmde should be maintained with

Code: Select all

apt update && apt dist-upgrade
run the command above, if there's updates available install them, after that you are in UP6.
jaypat35

Post by jaypat35 »

LZux wrote:Within Update Manager there's an 'Update Pack Info', with a lightbulb picture. Click on it and tells you what update pack is latest and what you're currently on.
For some reason I do not see that in me Update Manager. I see under the 'View' tab drop down 'Information' but no light bulb.
zerozero wrote:
jaypat35 wrote: But whenever I run update/upgrade in terminal it says my system is up to date
lmde should be maintained with

apt update && apt dist-upgrade
run the command above, if there's updates available install them, after that you are in UP6.
Thank you I ran that command. I'll have to just hop that I am updated!
jaypat35

Post by jaypat35 »

It appears that the LMDE that I have running on my desktop does not show that Update Pack Info button! I just Installed 201303 iso on my new notebook and I see that icon. And it does say that I am running update pack 6. Which tells me that I am running an older upgrade, cause I can tell there are some subtle differences between my desktop and fresh install on notebook. Getting a new desktop in coming months. If you have any advice to fix, in meantime, that would be appreciated. Otherwise I will just be patient and wait till I buy new desktop. I will just do a fresh install with new iso.

Thanks for your help!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

please run the following commands on the terminal and give us the output

inxi -Sr

apt policy mintupdate mintupdate-debian
jaypat35

Post by jaypat35 »

Installed: 4.4.7
Candidate: 4.4.7
Version table:
*** 4.4.7 0
700 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ maya/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
LZux

Post by LZux »

Jaypat, your repository is referring to 'maya'?
Give the output from command:

inxi -Sr
For LMDE it should be something like:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
Or for me, a faster site based on my location:

deb http://linux-mint.froonix.org/ debian main upstream import
Output from my apt command shown below. But Im unclear as to whether yours or mine is correct:

apt policy mintupdate mintupdate-debian
mintupdate:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
  Version table:
mintupdate-debian:
  Installed: 1.0.6
  Candidate: 1.0.6
  Version table:
 *** 1.0.6 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

zerozero

Post by zerozero »

LZux
as you are using lmde your output is correct.
we need to see inxi -Sr output from Jaypat to know either he is correct or not
jaypat35

Post by jaypat35 »

Guys & Ladies. Thanks for all of your help. But I think something is really wrong with my PC! I am going to have to re-install. Because I am getting a bunch of crazy things showing up now. I don't think that is is a LMDE issue now. It is a Compaq issue! Because I don't have any problems with my other units running LMDE, 13 or 14...
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

jaypat35,

If you are really convinced and believe there's something wrong with your Compaq then check your hard drive because you get crazy things showing up all of the sudden. Maybe that one is dying and needs to be replaced soon. Because it reminds me of my Packard Bell laptop i had a few years ago when i got the weirdest things happening on that machine. After someone showed me how to check the hard drive i knew enough, a lot of bad blocks and a few days later it died. :)

Another point of view:

Looking at your previous comments it's possible you're not running LMDE on the desktop since the update manager doesn't show you UP6 AND you posted a line containing a maya repo. Could it be you run Maya and mixed them up, thinking you run LMDE? Or you added a maya repo on LMDE which is never a good thing...? Or did you multiboot your compaq with other Mint versions and shared the same folders across that various versions? This is also never a good thing to do from my point of view. :)
jaypat35

Post by jaypat35 »

@Mr B

I was the hard drive! Replaced it last night. Installed the LMDE using that same DVD from last year (with UP4 or 5, can't remember) instead of 201303 just to see. And sure enough I was able to upgrade to UP6 this morning!

I did have dual boot on this system also. So there may have been some sharing that happened w/o my realization! While I am not a novice, I am not an expert either so that very well may have happened.

Now it is a complete install of LMDE on that hard drive. No dual boot!

1 time ever using this forum and I can't believe the fast repsonses I have gotten. My goal is now to be able in the future to be as helpful to someone else as you all have been to me! Thanks again!
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

I'm glad you got it all sorted and you're most welcome, that's what we are here for. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”