Popularizing stack exchange for questions?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wulftone

Popularizing stack exchange for questions?

Post by wulftone »

Hey all,

I am curious what the community here thinks of popularizing the use of stack exchange, and possibly deliberately pointing people to it from here, for Mint related questions.

There's this tag at the Linux and Unix site, but it doesn't seem to get used much.

I also made this proposal at stack's Area 51, but I don't know if it's as justified as the Ask Ubuntu one?

Searching these forums for answers is all fine and dandy, but finding answers on a stack exchange-powered site is... well WAY easier and more efficient (good answers bubble to the top) than the classic forum format. Additionally, people don't get left hanging as much due to un-noticed questions--a stack exchange site makes it easy to find unanswered questions... blah blah you all know why it is if you've ever used stackoverflow to get an answer.

These forums are great for a lot of things, but I think using the stack exchange format for a lot of little bug (or user error or whatever) questions would help greatly.

Do you think it would fragment the community too much, having two places to search?
Is using the Unix & Linux "linux-mint" tag good enough, or would it be good to have an "Ask Linux Mint" parallel to "Ask Ubuntu"?
Is there too much overlap between Ubuntu, Debian, and Mint to make it worth it?
If it is a good idea, should we link the communities? Should we direct them to stack from here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Popularizing stack exchange for questions?

Post by catweazel »

You're free to go and use it yourself. See you around sometime.

You can bet the city of London, England to half a house brick that it's a dead in the water idea. And good riddance to it too. Of course, Clem might say yes to it if you sign a contract to make restitution for all the lost advertising revenue that the project would suffer. I dare say you'd be up for a small fortune, every day.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
wulftone

Post by wulftone »

TehGhodTrole wrote:You're free to go and use it yourself. See you around sometime.

You can bet the city of London, England to half a house brick that it's a dead in the water idea. And good riddance to it too. Of course, Clem might say yes to it if you sign a contract to make restitution for all the lost advertising revenue that the project would suffer. I dare say you'd be up for a small fortune, every day.
There's advertising on these forums? I've honestly never seen it....[looking for them].... and I know why. : P My hosts file blocks a large number of ads from a variety of sources. Hah. I figured the majority of the money came from donations, not from click through ad things.

In any case, I've seen many instances where questions simply go unanswered here, and a stack site isn't a replacement for a forum, it's a supplement. I'm just trying to think of a solution to that problem, and a way to make finding answers more efficient. It can take a while, when sifting through forum posts, to find what you were _actually_ looking for.

Not trying to stir up trouble, just looking for ways to improve.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

wulftone wrote:My hosts file blocks a large number of ads from a variety of sources.
I use this one:

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt

You can read about it here: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Other topics”