How to change user password when home is encrypted?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lunatico

How to change user password when home is encrypted?

Post by lunatico »

Hello,

I looked all over the forum and couldn't find a solution to this. I have LM13 XFCE installed with and encrypted home folder.

I recently changed my user password and root password. I did this on the terminal by:

Code: Select all

sudo su
passwd <username>
passwd root
Up until here everything was fine. However, after I rebooted I could no longer login. After looking at the logs I realized that the home folder was not been mounted. I was able to ssh in (or go to different tty) and do 'encryptfs-mount-private' to mount home folder and then I was able to log into Xfce desktop. But the change would not persist, after rebooting I was back to unmounted home.

I Googled a bit on how I could fix this but didn't find anything. I changed the user password to be the same old one and then home was getting mounted automatically again.

How can I change my user password without breaking the encrypted home folder mount?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to change user password when home is encrypted?

Post by xenopeek »

Answered here: https://web.archive.org/web/20161216114 ... /Ecryptfs/. Just change your password while logged in, and do it as yourself and not as root (no su or sudo!).
lunatico

Re: How to change user password when home is encrypted?

Post by lunatico »

Thanks a lot! That worked just fine. After reading that it actually makes all the sense in the world.

Return to “Xfce”